Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Power shift that bitch!
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yeah, I had a feeling my clutch might be going from the night at PIR, seeing as my trap speeds were only hitting 112 vs. 120+.

So tonight i went to the track and went on my drag radials with full tire pressure just to see if maybe my issue isnt traction but the CLUTCH....I didnt launch hard, and when i went down the track the first and second gear, not flooring it, were fine. Shifted to 3rd, when the wastegate was ready to open my rpms went straight to rev limit and i bounced off rapidly, so i shifted to 4th and the same thing. My wastegate never opened.

I am not sure if its my pressure plate that needs to be replaced or if my clutch is just going out :(

I have yet to get a run in with my new found power....first my shift linkage, now my clutch...errrrrrrr.

My one and only run was 13.7 at 90mph coasting.....lol

·
Administrator
17,247 Posts
Now you know how I used to feel at the track. Things never work out for me either at the 1320 Michelle! Good luck getting everything back in order to make another attempt at beating your records soon! :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
How many miles do you have on the clutch and what kind of clutch? Might pull off the inspection cover and take a look at things. Something I've commonly seen is the pressure plate bolts backing out. With the stock pressure plate the stock torque specifications are good, but when going with these aftermarket ones, you really gotta tighten down the pressure plate bolts. Also have someone push on the clutch pedal and look at the engagement of the clutch and you can check and see how much material is on the disc.

·
Power shift that bitch!
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
JoeThaMan said:
How many miles do you have on the clutch and what kind of clutch? Might pull off the inspection cover and take a look at things. Something I've commonly seen is the pressure plate bolts backing out. With the stock pressure plate the stock torque specifications are good, but when going with these aftermarket ones, you really gotta tighten down the pressure plate bolts. Also have someone push on the clutch pedal and look at the engagement of the clutch and you can check and see how much material is on the disc.
I do not have very many miles on it at all. I had it installed when i was down in Portland for our annual meet.....last year was it?! So maybe 3000 regular miles and did race it some in july and august last season only been out 5 times this season.

TRD twin Kevlar discs.

·
OLDDAWG
1,733 Posts
SupraWoman98T said:
I do not have very many miles on it at all. I had it installed when i was down in Portland for our annual meet.....last year was it?! So maybe 3000 regular miles and did race it some in july and august last season only been out 5 times this season.

TRD twin Kevlar discs.
Wow that doesn't speak very good for the the TRD twin Kevlar disc clutch if the discs are gone already. It shouldn't go out this quick I wouldn't think. Since your clutch discs shouldn't be gone this quick it sounds like you should check it over such as JoeThaMan has suggested...

I'm still running on the SouthBend Pressure Plate with a stock disc under it since the 6 puc disc let go due to bonding problems SouthBend had when that disc first came out. Of course I can't hold much over 500RWHP with it. I am going to take JoeThaMan's advice since I want to stick with a stock disc to put a more heavy duty pressure plate on top of a stock disc the next time around though... I do like the feel of the SouthBend pressure plate though... Also I am not going for all the horsepower that everybody seems to be going for now.

·
ˆê”Ô ƒGƒAƒ�ƒgƒv‚d‚q
1,039 Posts
My experience with the TRD twin hasn't been that good either. They just don't seem to last that long. Are you able to still shift the car ok? From what I've experienced is they stop shifting smoothly, then you can't even put it in gear from neutral. I know another guy that had the set up, but he didn't use it for Drag racing or any racing for that matter and it only lasted him a couple years with not that much driving either. So I'd have to say it's not that great of a unit. I think the problem is they just can't hold up for street use. I think they easily damage from "trying" to slip them for smooth acceleration under normal driving condition.

Hope your next clutch works out better!

Ishii

·
Administrator
17,247 Posts
93dawg,

I believe you and I have the same SouthBend DXD clutch. It's rated for 650 (flywheel) torque I believe, so don't sell it too short. I'll try to find where I got that number in case it's wrong. It's my favorite clutch as well...by a long shot! :)

*EDIT* Here is the page. Looks like they've changed some of the naming from when we bought them:

http://www.dxdracingclutches.com/supra.html

I believe that our DXD clutches are at least what we'd call their "Stage 2" for the Supra.

Steve T.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
I wish there was a cheap solution, but if you are going to drag race your car a lot (especially if you have bigger power in the works) then at the minimum get yourself an RPS Carbon/Carbon or best get the Tilton Carbon. The entry price is steep, but they are rebuildable and they are the only clutches out there that survive under the rigors of drag racing. They will eventually pay for themselves in a way, since you aren't buying and replacing full clutches all the time. We have been there ourselves, broken all sorts of various clutches, and those are the only good solutions. Unless you want to go auto! :biggrin:

John

·
Power shift that bitch!
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very true, i just bought an RPS stage 3 clutch.

I was told that the composite wore off the kevlar discs and then all went to hell....shyte.

I was thinking about going with the carbon carbon....going auto???!!! who knows what i am going to do...lol

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,723 Posts
I feel your pain Michelle. I have had my tranny out 10+ times now for rebuild/replacement, clutch swap, and the latest and greatest clutch release hub failure. Greatest thing is I know it will fail within 3 months. I might consider auto if something happens since the price of a clutch you can go auto and sell your six speed to pay for it.

I also remember you getting stuck at SILV 04

·
The new #1 Hardtopper
1,572 Posts
RPS Carbon Carbon = best bang for the buck clutch out there.
Cut your losses while you still have the chance.
In the past 2 years I have slipped the hell out of my clutch taking off from the line in autoxes on R compounds without track prep like you would find on the dragstrip. I pulled the inspection covers a couple of weeks ago and the discs didnt even look worn.

Goodluck Michelle!

·
Power shift that bitch!
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hands On said:
I also remember you getting stuck at SILV 04
Yeah that was clutch #2, the twin disc was clutch #4....lol

Dont ask me why i can laugh at a time like this, I think i am just at that weird state where i just might snap if you piss me off...lol

Well, thanks to Mark at SPE and Dusty at MVP, i was able to get my clutch ordered at a good deal and should have it soon.

·
Registered
158 Posts
SupraWoman98T said:
Yeah that was clutch #2, the twin disc was clutch #4....lol

Dont ask me why i can laugh at a time like this, I think i am just at that weird state where i just might snap if you piss me off...lol

Well, thanks to Mark at SPE and Dusty at MVP, i was able to get my clutch ordered at a good deal and should have it soon.
Hey lead foot, take it easy next time! I better see 10's soon! :)

·
900 BHP Club :)
4,934 Posts
upgradedsupra said:
At least it's the same as Mike now :rofl:

Go Tilton! :)

Duane
are you talking about me? I did 12.7 on street tires and 2500 rpm launch on an original OEM 85,000 mile clutch, buddy :wtflol:

·
Power shift that bitch!
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Holding Monster said:
Hey lead foot, take it easy next time! I better see 10's soon! :)
i will be sure and video for you or better yet call you when that happens lol....especially if i dont want a roll cage, i will be um visiting different tracks. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts