Supra Forums banner

Clutch job getting really out of control

755 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  NeverNZ 
G
#1 ·
Its cold here, very cold and there is snow on the ground, and i dont have a garage

so i brought my car to a shop to geth my clutch changed.

the job itself was costing like $700 for the parts and labor

but, when they pulled the trans they called me down to show me some stuff, the clutch disk was worn to the rivits, there were less than 2 quarts of oil in my tranny and the bushings were all worn down like completly

so i was like, ok fix them, then he put the car up on the lift and showed me the slave cylender, that thing was beat, so i need a new one of those

so this clutch job is costing me like $1000 now, this sucks

oh yeah, this is a buddy of mines shop, so they arent just pulling my leg and trying to sell me stuff, and they know i'm not a moron, when they say something is broken, they show me it all

but anyway, i was just venting about how the previous owner of my car beat this transmission to shit

in that plate assemply on top of the trans, when the trans came down, it looked like someone was yanking on it with pliers, it was all scratched up and gouged out

this car seemed so mint when i bought it, but the truth comes out

its a good thing i didnt do this stuff myself, i would never have recognised any of this stuff

oh yeah, and my tranny is leaking

See less See more
#2 ·
wow... what kinda clutch did you get to make cost go up to 700? for labor, i get charged 250. but it does suck that you have to get so owned by the last owner w/ the tranny job. i know funds are tough to come by these days.

good luck w/ the future of it - don't give up:)

#3 ·
hey if it makes u feel any better it cost me over $700 to get a new clutch, throw out bearing, and a resurfaced flywheel including labor...thats from AAMCO...

g/l buddy

~gh0st!

G
#4 ·
nah, its labor and parts and everything, not including all the add ons

but i went with a stock clutch and all

i needed it bad, and couldnt get one myself in time, so i had him get one for me, so yeah, i know it was expensive

also, this place has kinda expensive labor, but they do very good work, and i completly trust them, so its a comfort thing

G
#5 ·
i still wish a knew a little more about the previous owner of the car, but i have no idea where to find any info on him or such, i ran a carfax before i got the car, and there was like nothing on it except maintenace schedules. and i bought the car from a dealer who got didnt know anything about the previous owner

#8 ·
hey dude let me tell you something
get a used JDM engine and trans
it is cheaper for you in the end cause you get everything in better condition than the one you have now.
look around cause the NA is less than what you doing just for the clutch job.
get a used JDM with the trans and just get the clutch kit OEM or aftermarket and move on!!!
o yah get a OEM clutch master and slave!!!
don't get the shitty napa or autozone shit.
it won't last long just get the oem stuff.
word of the wise, there is more pplz could tell you that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.