Supra Forums banner

Clutch kit for 94 2JZ-GTE

924 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Mr Ree NZ 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 94 Supra turbo with the 6 speed manual transmission. When I depress the clutch, its makes a grinding noise. My friends believe it just needs a throw out bearing.

Since this vehicle has an after market clutch that is very aggressive, I was thinking about getting something not as aggressive for someone like me who won't be racing the car.

Anyone have suggestions on what to get?

Thanks a lot!!

#2 ·
I have the same car as you - factory TT manual. I’ve had similar noises and even had a full gearbox and clutch overhaul- all seals, bearings etc replaced in gearbox, diff and clutch/flywheel end.

The noise is trill there (my noise goes away when the clutch pedal is pushed in).

Turns out there’s nothing wrong with anything. The aftermarket clutch which is an aggressive spring loaded type, clashed with the factory harmonic flywheel. Solution ? Replace the clutch plate with standard a factory Toyota unit.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 · (Edited)
This ^

The Getrag V160/1 is known to have a slightly less refined noise at low revs, made even worse with a noisy multi plate clutch.

The dual mass flywheel helps to shush things up a little bit :)

If youre not running big power numbers, and dont plan to upgrade the engine in the future, then a factory clutch would be fine, and would be a lot quieter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.