Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just installed a new clutch 3000 miles ago. stock disk with a rps pressure plate. when the car is just idling it makes noise. press the clutch and the noise goes away. is it the throw out bearing. i need to know as im installing a rps disk tonight and i have to have it ready for dragday on friday..please help me out

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
T61supradean said:
i just installed a new clutch 3000 miles ago. stock disk with a rps pressure plate. when the car is just idling it makes noise. press the clutch and the noise goes away. is it the throw out bearing. i need to know as im installing a rps disk tonight and i have to have it ready for dragday on friday..please help me out
If you're installing a new disk, replace all the bearings anyway.... heh.

Your problem is the flywheel. Either you have a non-stock solid flywheel or your stock one has gone bad. Either way, buy a new stock flywheel..

Andi

·
0 Posts
I have the blitz lighten flywheel, and same thing happens, so, like Andi said, if it isn't stock, then its ok.

2 RIP

·
Banned
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my flywheel is good i think. it has only 40k on it. the throw out bearing has 2500 miles on it. you think the flywheel is no good...how could that be. this has to work for this friday. i have drag radials and 2 days to get this fixed. what would you do. will it hold if i pout the 6 puck in? help me out please

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
T61supradean said:
my flywheel is good i think. it has only 40k on it. the throw out bearing has 2500 miles on it. you think the flywheel is no good...how could that be. this has to work for this friday. i have drag radials and 2 days to get this fixed. what would you do. will it hold if i pout the 6 puck in? help me out please
I'm assuming you have a stock flywheel. See here:

http://www.mkiv.com/manual/manualtt/clutch_replacement/c4.jpg

Regards,
Andi

·
Banned
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
andi you are exactly right, there is grease in he housing....damn it
do u think it will hold for one last drag strip run.....or once it goes it wont hold? please let me know
thanks
dean

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
T61supradean said:
andi you are exactly right, there is grease in he housing....damn it
do u think it will hold for one last drag strip run.....or once it goes it wont hold? please let me know
thanks
dean
It will probably be fine for a dragstrip run. It'll just be a bit un-civil driving around town once the stock flywheel is blown, basically rattling like a light flywheel.

BTW the grease may not be from the flywheel. I've seen a pretty greased up bellhousing on a 6-speed Supra that a mix of powdered clutch material and enging oil, from a leaking rear main seal.

...replace the rear main seal next time you have the transmission out... once the flywheel is out it's a very simple replacement and only a $20 part.

Andi

1 - 7 of 7 Posts