Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
i <3 fitness chicks
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you might remember, i posted a thread a little while back about how my RPS Stage 3 Clutch is shot after 1500 miles as the disk surface is worn down very low. I spoke with some people and they said that on these clutches the surface is low to begin with. Well i finally snapped some pics and i would like some opinions. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edit - There is something wrong with cardomain so ill have more pics later.

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts

heres mine and it still held strong when I bought the car, I put 20 miles on it before I took my whole car apart.... still have a little more work to do until she is done

·
The Great Kruso
3,875 Posts
Thats a good clutch plate man....I wouldnt worry about it. Instead i'd worry about the surface of the flywheel and the clutch itself. Might wanna get the flywheel turned.

Kruso

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
it doesn't look that bad, do what kruso said and have the flywheel turned. You wanna see a worn clutch?? Here:

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
The level of pad looks about right for RPS however that pressure plate does NOT look RPS at all, it looks like a painted Centerforce. The clutch disc looks a little weird too.

Here's my RPS:

Centerforce, they're the only onces I've ever seen use the funky weight spring thing:

And Jong, that's not a worn clutch, this is a worn clutch *dundee* :)

·
i <3 fitness chicks
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This just keeps getting worse and worse. My friend bought the clutch brand new but never installed it, and he said it was an RPS Stage 3. If the pressure plate is not RPS, would it be a good idea to order a RPS PP and use the clutch disk that i already have?? Or should i just order a whole new clutch setup? I was eyeing the dual diaphram clutch setup...

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
If that is a Centerforce pressure plate it would explain some of your troubles. At this point with the information you've presented I'd say your friend ripped you off, whether intentional or not, it doesn't look like your clutch setup is RPS. I suggest a totally new clutch setup at this point.

·
i <3 fitness chicks
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok. Well i just talked to another friend of mine with an RPS Stage 3 and he said that his looked exactly like mine. I think i am just going to put this clutch setup back in the car as-is, and if the littlest thing goes wrong then I'll just order a new setup. Who knows, i could end up saving $600+... Any opinions are strongly encouraged...

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
Bishop92T said:
And Jong, that's not a worn clutch, this is a worn clutch *dundee* :)

Holy crap! thats insane!:eek:

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
Thats NOT an RPS stage 3 setup. The pics i posted above are of a stage 3 clutch. That is a classic centerforce pressure plate. It may be an rps disc, but thats it.

If you don't want to do this 8 hours job again, I'd HIGHLY suggest you replace it. If you're stock, a stock clutch will last you a long time.

·
wha huh?
952 Posts
damn bish...thats the worse clutch ive ever seen...looks like someone had fun at high boost with weak clutch...hehehe

·
i <3 fitness chicks
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dam. No im not gonna be anywhere near stock by the time it goes back in. Hm, could i just order a new pressure plate and re-use this disc, or should i just order a whole new setup? Any recommendations? It seems the best option is the RPS Stage 3 3200lb special with the dual diaphram pressure plate.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
LOL, that clutch threw all of it's guts all over the bell housing. Even made a nice hole in the top. Some numb nuts kept boosting around after I told him his clutch was slipping and he needed to take it easy.

I recommend a new pressure plate in the very least. The ACT PP should work just fine if RPS won't sell you the PP by itself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts