Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got in my 94 today and as I was driving at about 50mph I shifted from 3rd to 4th during acceleration, and something felt weird. When i came up to the light and went to push the clutch i realized it wasnt there! Well actually the pedal was stuck to the floor lol. Luckily I knew how to shift and drive the car without the clutch so now I'm back home.

I checked the fluid level for the clutch but the fluid is full still.

I pulled the pedal up by hand and it came back up and stayed up....but now it is very very stiff to the point where I cannot push it down far enough to hit the sensor to start the car. Also pushing the pedal down I cannot get it into 1st with the engine on.

Any ideas where to start?

BTW Its a 94 6 speed twin turbo if i forgot to mention, thanks.

·
200+mph
738 Posts
You could start by getting the car on a lift and take either off the two covers that are on each sides off the gearbox off and take a quick look at the clutch to see if you can see something wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll go do that right now, I hope nothings majorly messed up! The guy before me said there was a new toyota clutch recently installed.....hmm i wonder what went wrong.:1poke:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So i checked out the left side where the clutch fork is, and the fork is about 1/2" away from the pressure plate, but its not under any tension because i can move it a little up and down with my fingers. The cylinder also looks to be extended pretty far, not sure if its all the way out? Would explain how the pedal got stuck.

I guess a question at this point would be: how does the throwout bearing work on the supras? meaning, does it push forwards on the center of the pressure plate or does it pull backwards on the throwout bearing?

Is it possible the bearing pulled out too far and got stuck past the pressure plate fingers? The clutch is still engaged cuz i drove the car home by shifting without the clutch. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

·
OG
1,059 Posts
One possibility is a broken snap ring..
Perhaps the fork jumped out of its spot and is now jammed.

Best of luck
Cheers
Rich B

·
Registered
504 Posts
Time for a new presure plate, while your at it replace the clutch, pilot bearing, etc..
depending on your buget or future plans, take a good look at the fly wheel..
I HIGHLY recomend you replace your Tranny fluid (use toyota OEM)
DO NOT drive as you discribed you will damage your syncros or worst.

You did say the fork was fine..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I was thinking it was the pressure plate too.

Well at least i got to drive the car a week after I bought it before it gave out! lol

The 2nd gear shift seems to grind if i don't do it just carefully (this was before the clutch problem). I have to push the clutch all the way down and wait about an entire second before pulling it into 2nd smoothly. If i try quick shifting it'll grind almost certain. Could this be synchros?

Yes the fork looks fine, i may be wrong though cuz i didnt pull it out and look at it yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I got a better look into the tranny from the access panels.

A Few Questions:

1. Do I remove the pressure plate-to-flywheel bolts through the side access holes before removing the transmission? I've only seen that people put the clutch assembly on the tranny before installation, correct?

2. A hole in the slave cylinder rubber boot, leaks a small stream of fluid when pinched with fingers...however it doesn't leak on its own. It also looks fully extended. Is it possible that they can over-extend, causing leaks?

Also, I can see a ring (snap ring?) just hanging from the input shaft, to the rear of the pressure plate diaphragm, then behind that is the throwout bearing, and behind that is the fork resting against what looks like the base of the input shaft.

Im pretty sure its not supposed to be like this :doh: I'm guessing the fork or bearing slipped and went way out of place. So it looks like its time to drop the tranny out...

Sorry for a bunch of small questions, I've done these jobs before but not on a Supra!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the tranny out and everything. I left the pressure plate on and took the tranny off because the throwout bearing was all the way back on the shaft along with a think wavy ring about 4 inches in diameter, that look way bent out of shape

When I took the pressureplate off the flywheel there were two thicker rings also about 4 inches around, both missing a good chunk out of them ( they look like crescent moons).

My question is what are these three rings called and I'll probably order them from Toyota cuz I ordered a clutch kit that hasnt come yet, but after pulling my trans i revealed it has a blue RPS clutch (max series?) with looks new still so i think just these 3 rings to put the throwout bearing back in the pressure plate wil do for now?

any tips/tricks on installing these? thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
okay so i got it all sorted out

turns out that whoever put in the previous clutch put the throwout bearing in backwards, so all the stress was put on the snap ring instead of the bearing. (no wonder it broke)

Thanks again for the exploded view, thats what saved me. Otherwise i would have installed it the way i took it out lol.

installed the new clutch last night just gotta bleed the clutch and break it in :wavey:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts