Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Haven't posted a lot lately but I haven't done anything new to the car in awhile. On to my problem. I have a HPF clutch with RPS sprung PP on my 96 N/A 5spd, when installed flywheel was resurfaced (from what I was told a lot taken off). Clutch has been on for about 12K or so miles and has had a hard clutch pedal ever since installed. Clutch pedal had problems and went to the floor and wouldn't come off unless pulled with my toes...replaced the clutch master cylinder with a new one from Curt and put synthetic fluid in. couple thousand miles later with good use, tranny blew...replaced with a used one that sarkis was able to aquire for me in little time. Car has been ok since. now at 143K miles, like I said 12k or more miles on the clutch, and had a long stint in traffic at the beach and the clutch pedal went back to the floor. This sux arse...what can be doing this to the master cylinder? Haven't heard of this happening to Na-t's with clutches nobody talks about the master cylinder failing...is it me? Was my clutch installed incorrectly or is it really that stiff? So I guess my only options are to replace the master cylinder again!!! Will the TT one fit cause that seems to be the next step for me is to get a better one. After this I really am getting fed up with this car, and since I don't have the money to do what I want with it (TT swap) I'm probably gonna just sell it and get a hybrid to conserve gas and money till I have enough to waste on another supra...sorry for the long post but I'm super frustrated with my baby and need advice.

P.S. only engine mods are K&N intake with custom intake pipe and HKS Super drager 2 exhaust

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So the clutch is now totally dead...can't get it to engage (disengage the tranny) so I can get it into gear...had to pull it all the way home clutchless shifting and starting the car in gear at stoplights, not good.
The clutch master cylinder fluid turned from yellow to green with all this crap floating around in it (happened like this before when I replaced the cmc). Now what!!!! Gotta order that new one I guess cause I have no clue how to get it all the way to dynoxtreme from san berdoo area...and try and get it done myself.
Plus with all this heat, and the fact that this problem has been going on slowly, I think that the valve cover gasket (same as head gasket??) is leaking and so is the distributor ( which I replaced the o-rings on a couple of years ago) the engine is ticking pretty loudly at me...which I think may be a fouled plug in the middle with oil just wonderfully pooling in there...God I need to sell this car

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does anybody know if a TT clutch master cylinder fits the NA cars and if there is a difference? Think this might make things better for me?...
Also, what is everyone's preference with changing the fluids when doin this replacement? It's just like bleeding brakes?

·
vanilla in her puddin'
175 Posts
its most likely your slave cylinder they are about 40 bucks from curt. Its not that expensive and is the easiest fix for the sunken clutch pedal or dead cluth pedal. The only other thing it could be is a broken clutch finger or diaphragm on the clutch pressure plate. I would change out the slave cylinder.

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally switched out the clutch slave cylinder and then after waiting sooo long to get it done...click click click. Battery is dead! Finally got jumped and took her for a freeway drive to charge up the battery.
Now to the new problem...I remember a little clicking noise coming from the engine bay. Emphasis on little. Now right when I got off the freeway to get home the engine bay sound turned into a LOUD popping noise. Can't really tell if the noise is a exhaust leak or not but is coming at regular intervals and is really loud and making vibrations as well.
Also I thought it may have something to do with the leaking valve cover gaskets that I was going to replace. Or spark plugs? Got those too to replace (last time I changed them was some oil down there). Any opinions?

·
2JZ-Phantom
2,117 Posts
Trying replacing your valve cover gasket, I think on the valve cover gasket there should be o-rings that prevent oil from going into the spark plug area. Might be your timing is off of your oil pump is not working right for the clicking sound. A little off topic but when my brothers vr4 was clicking very loud the timing was off but the mechanic also said that a bad oil pump can produce the same sound. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts