Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my clutch engagement was really low, so I decided to adjust my pedal rod.

It was for a few days, but then the engagement lowered again. So I checked my master cylinder and the slave and bled the line, made sure no air was in it, but still the same problem!!!!

So I decided to look at the pedal assembly and I noticed the entire assembly moved when i tried pressing the clutch in. I looked at the top bolt that holds the clutch assembly and I noticed it was moving. So I removed the pedal assembly and I checked where that top bolt mounted too, and surely enough, the support came off. 3 spot welds broke right off!!! Here are pictures to prove it!!!

Not sure if this has ever happened to anyone, or it might've have happened and people just havent realized it. So do yourself a favor and check that bracket to see if its broken off or anything.

Also, you really cant see the bracket since its convered all around with sound dedaning stuff. So now I have to do it figure out a way to put it back together!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I have a RPS Stage 2 clutch. Not sure how the heck this even happened, but I'm trying to figure everything out.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Not terribly uncommon with some of the aftermarket single-disc clutches that increase pedal pressure significantly. The clutch is one area on the Supra where there isn't a really good aftermarket alternative unless you're willing to spend a good chunk of money AND live with a rattling tranny.

·
Registered
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo 6spd
1,513 Posts
sucks about that!! but glad you found the problem! i found this out as well and it was PITA to fix. i just drilled bolts and held it in with nuts and washers.

i think a lot more 6spd people hsould check this for the firewall is REALLY flimsy and it is only tack welded in those 3 areas. with the stiff clutches many people run, it is only a matter of timme before it wears that part out.

if you search my name you can see some pictures that i posted up as to what i did to remedy this problem.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VERY GOOD NEWS!!!!

Lucky for me, the area where the bracket was spot welded to can be easily reached from under the cowl.

Here is a picture of it.

The bracket broke off very clean, so it made 3 small holes. I just enlarged these holes a tinyyyyy bit to make room for 3 M6 1.0mm bolts with washers , locking washers and nuts.

From there, I drilled 3 holes in the bracket itself to let the bolts slide through.

Then I removed the clutch pedal and with the help of my father, was able to put the nuts and washers on the bolts since the bolts went from top to bottom. Here is a picture.

And here is one with the nuts and washers in place. Notice the padding I had to cut off.

After that, I just reassembled everything and checked for ANY play in the clutch assembly. There were no signs of play, so I readjusted my clutch rod so it would grab low, but not too low. I drove it for about 20 miles, stop and go, stop and go, and it feels very good and there is no more "wobble" in the clutch.

Now, everything is working very fine. If this EVER happens to you, hopefully you have small hands to work under the console area!

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
i put this also in the FAQ area now ,,nice work good fix :)

make sure to put some sealent around that bolt (like a few globs of silicone )to cover the bolt and protect the area from rust ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts