Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best aftermarket clutch that I can still use with the stock flywheel? This would be for a daily driver Supra TT that I plan to take to BPU. What do you guys recommend?

Also, how much in labor should I expect to pay for a clutch change? I'm not sure I'll have the time to do it myself.
Toyota quoted me some ridiculous amount of like $600+.
I realize you need to drop the trans, but that seems quite high.

Thanks for the help.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
You can use the AZ setup with the stock flywheel. The clutch isn't for everyone though. What do you plan to do with the car?

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
For BPU the ACT Street Clutch is excellent and tougher than the RPS Stage II from what I hear. Mine grabs very hard and feels great once you adjust to the extra pressure, like a stocker on steroids and it's rated for 588 ft-lbs. Now a stock clutch feels like a Mazda B2000 pickup LOL!

If you are hardcore into drag racing the RPS Stage III 6-puck is a good way to go. Engagement is harsh, but it will take the abuse of full-on launches.

·
Registered
87 Posts
SAY WHAT???

"For BPU the ACT Street Clutch is excellent and tougher than the RPS Stage II from what I hear."

I don't think so. I will put my stage II up against an act any day of the week. The RPS Stage II is rated at 650 ft-lbs of torque and was what Vinney Ten used years ago to run the first 9's in a Sup. Both the Stage II and Stage III use the same pressure plate. This is also the pressure plate used by the so-called Arizona clutch.

·
SupraForums Member
434 Posts
IM very happy wiht my TRD basic clutch which is made by RPS. I think its the RPS turbo clutch. No chatter here baby! Excellent for a BPU. And Yep, harder pedal.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I just put my RPS stage 2 in a few weeks ago and did enough running around in town to get it seated. So far I really like it. It engages just like a factory unit since the friction disk is the same, and there is only a little more pedal pressure to get used to. Labor was about 6 hours worth on a friend's lift, but we had a few fasteners that were very stubborn and took a lot of care getting them loose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts