Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this screeching sound (almost sounds like the screeching when engine belts are moist) when I’m almost fully engaged with the clutch on 1st gear. Once the clutch is fully engaged and I’m moving, the sound is gone. I don’t get the screeching sound in other gears.

My MK4 NA has a stock flywheel with a South Bend OFE clutch (Feramic Compound) and PP. The screeching didn’t start until after I have driven over 800 miles on this setup. I’m assuming because of the feramic material coming into contact with the clutch’s feramic surface it causes the screeching before it is engaged (as the clutch likes to grab than rather being slipped in).

Does anyone else have this kind of problem?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Its kind of odd it happens after what is usualy a breakin period (800miles), But on all the spec stage 5 clutches we have done here at work this is pretty normal for about 1k miles.

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read up more on the break-in predures for South Bend Clutches, and looks like I will need to do alot more stop and go to have the clutch break-in. Most of my 800 miles are highway.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Your problem sounds similar to my HPF feramic clutch. I had slipped it a few times on the freeway in 3rd gear to spin the tires and everything was fine. But one day I did it and it made this weird screaching noise right before engagement. I drove it around like normal and the noise went away. I then got it again a few weeks ago when I was at the drag strip, doing 8k launches. Sounds to be that you glazed the flywheel. Did you slip the clutch at high rpm's?

Lawrence

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
93 twintrbo said:
Your problem sounds similar to my HPF feramic clutch. I had slipped it a few times on the freeway in 3rd gear to spin the tires and everything was fine. But one day I did it and it made this weird screaching noise right before engagement. I drove it around like normal and the noise went away. I then got it again a few weeks ago when I was at the drag strip, doing 8k launches. Sounds to be that you glazed the flywheel. Did you slip the clutch at high rpm's?

Lawrence
I drove my Supra like a daily driver and kept it under 4,500 RPMS (maybe only hit it 3 times) in 800 miles. After I had my Supra dynoed, it started to have the screeching sound, I assume that running on the dyno, the operator may have sliped the clutch at higher RPMs.

I'll try to drive it around normally and have the clutch break-in a little better, but at least I feel relieved that I didn't install my clutch incorrectly. :eek4dance

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
FLZ_Boy said:
I drove my Supra like a daily driver and kept it under 4,500 RPMS (maybe only hit it 3 times) in 800 miles. After I had my Supra dynoed, it started to have the screeching sound, I assume that running on the dyno, the operator may have sliped the clutch at higher RPMs.

I'll try to drive it around normally and have the clutch break-in a little better, but at least I feel relieved that I didn't install my clutch incorrectly. :eek4dance
That makes sense, the operator must of slipped it driving to the dyno and also dynoing it. He probably wasnt used to the feramic, probably stalled it a few times.

Lawrence

·
Registered
24 Posts
It sounds like you might have built up a glaze on the surface of the clutch facing. The good thing is that Feramic wears down as you drive. Normal driving will remove the glaze and the sound should disapear. Give me a call here at SBC if the problem persists

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The screeching pretty much went away after doing a little more stop and go. I still get the screeching sometimes, but its not as frequent as before. Other than that, the OFE is holding pretty well and has smooth engagement at the higher RPM ranges. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts