Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my clutch is slipping and hoping somebody can provide a bit of information... I did a search and could not find anything on this.

I have a BPU to BPU+ car with 38K miles. The car was BPU when I bought it and I don't know how many miles it has been driven BPU. The car is making max boost of 25lbs which is not sustained (drops off as RPM's increase). The car accelerates like a jet in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear (no slipping detectable). I don't usually get on it in 5th or 6th, but did today on the freeway. When I went full throttle in 5th I felt what I am pretty sure was the clutch slipping.

My questions are as follows. Those of you that have experienced clutch slipping, was it more prevelant in 5th or 6th gear versus the lower gears?

If I'm only experiencing it in 5th and 6th, how long might I have before it starts to slip in the rest of the gears? What is the best clutch to go to and how much does it cost. What should the cost be total with labor?

Thanks in advance for any information on this!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
some clutches loose grip the hotter they get. thats why when in 1st-4th gear there was no slipping because the clutch didnt get as hot until 5th and 6th. just one thought.

·
Banned
4,144 Posts
If the clutch is slipping in 6th and 5th, then you don't have long until the other gears go. Mine did the same thing when the car was bone stock. It kind of had characteristics of an automatic in that I could rev the engine and the speed wouldn't increase. I would get it fixed soon though before the car gets immovable. About what clutch to get, that's all a matter of taste. If you paln or even think you might go single, I recomend the RPS stage III w/sprung hub and Lightened flywheel. The flywheel will free up some hp and the clutch grabs and doesn't let go. I love mine and the chatter isn't bad at all.

Eric

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your boosting 25 psi:eek:!!! That is too much, this is probably the reason it drops w/ higher rpm. Boost a max of 18 or 19 psi. The stock twins loose efficiency higher than this.

Chris

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem I have is who to listen to. Chris who runs Horsepowerfreaks.com inspected the car and has a reputation for having the fastest BPU car in the 1/4 mile. He really knows these cars!

He told me the car is fine right where it is and will not experience excellerated turbo wear or decreased life expectancy. How can I go against what this guy says? If you check out some of the posts about this guy and his shop on this site, he is known to be an expert tuner on these cars.

SO WHO TO BELIEVE?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts