Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im using a w58... i have a phr stage 3 clutch right now which is rated for 500 torque but its starting to slip with around 400 rwhp and a 50 shot... looking for something that will hold about 500 rwhp and isn't going to snap an input shaft...

i do like the phr clutch.. and if i can't find a good alternative, i may just get another phr disc... would consider used too if the price is right...

any help would be greatly appreciated... but price is definitely an issue... gotta keep it low as possible... mainly because i plan on the r154 swap in the future and i dont want to dump lots of money on this tranny/clutch...

thanks.

·
11,217 Posts
You own an IS300 huh? Is the input shaft the same as the old SC300's? Because I know they have a weaker input shaft compare to the Supra's w58.

A lot of people are running the RPS Max series w/ 6 puck disk, myself included. It hasn't slipped on me yet.

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah.. i have an IS... the IS comes with the w55 which is even weaker than the w58... i broke my w55 with just nitrous.... swapped in a w58 from a 99 sc300... haven't had any problems with the tranny yet... had 90k on it when i got it... put about 15K on with the boost and so far its all good except the clutch... but thanks for the suggestion.. i will look into it..

is it sprung or unsprung? how is it for daily drivability?

·
11,217 Posts
The 95+ SC300 trannies are the same as the Supra's, so the input shaft is a lil stronger.

The disk is sprung. Driving is alright I guess. I can't really compare to anything else. I can't tell the difference :stickpoke

·
Banned
566 Posts
I put 550whp 490wtq through a Competition Clutch stage 5 setup. Very cost effective and Chris(the owner) was more than happy to build me a clutch that would hold my low boost needs.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
I put 550whp 490wtq through a Competition Clutch stage 5 setup. Very cost effective and Chris(the owner) was more than happy to build me a clutch that would hold my low boost needs.
how's the Competition Clutch holding up after a few months?
also hows the pedal pressue?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Had the Competition Clutch and it held all the power, however the pressure plate broke on the 3rd drag pass and I beleive the same thing happened to Quickness.
Now we are using a Spec 3+ suprerclpamp and it's smooth and hold up so far. No drag launches yet

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'm running the spec and it doesn't slip but it chatters, which is strange b/c it is segmented and sprung, not a true puck, and the pedal pressure is extremely light. Grabs very well though; can bark the 275's on the 3-4 shift.

Off topic: on the R154 swap how do you make the speedo work?

Thanks,

Ian

·
Registered
936 Posts
The spec 3+ series are full face with no chatter at all. Almost as smooth as stock

·
Registered
810 Posts
Well I've got a spec and it chatters a lot. I don't mind, but it definetely chatters. Its full face with a segmented back side.

Ian

·
Registered
936 Posts
Well I've got a spec and it chatters a lot. I don't mind, but it definetely chatters. Its full face with a segmented back side.

Ian
Understood but it's not a stage 3+ . However, yours should not chatter either and is indeed strange that it does, must be very agressive material. Anyway the 3+ is a true full face and mayby that makes all the difference

·
Registered
810 Posts
Typically, a "higher stage" clutch will chatter more. Most spec clutches are absolute junk, I just had this laying around so I threw it in. It grabs well but it won't suprise me when the disk implodes.

Ian

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I used the HPF bronze disk with the ACT heavy duty pressure plate. There can be some catter if you don't slip it just right but it's tolerable. It's still got a lot of life on it if you want a used clutch. LMK and I'll send you some details and pics.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Any one here using the Clutch Masters Stage 3 FX300
how much does that hold?... ~400whp?

website only says : it's good for "medium-boost turbo or super-charger, or up to 100hp Nitrous."
thats kinda vauge....

·
Registered
42 Posts
A lot of people have been recommending the clutchmasters stage V on clublexus. I have also read that the stock clutch is good for around 400 hp

Anyways, in for answers because i have the exact same question.

·
Registered
951 Posts
no offense and all, but I wouldn't recommend running 450~500hp through the W58. most likely you will be trying to save for the R154 real quick. put the $550 towards the R154. plus I wouldn't want to drop the tranny and do all that work to put in a temporary clutch.

just my opinion

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
A lot of people have been recommending the clutchmasters stage V on clublexus. I have also read that the stock clutch is good for around 400 hp

Anyways, in for answers because i have the exact same question.
I looked at that, not crazy about the puck clutches....
my current one chatters and squeals when starting from a stop :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts