Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
having problems shifting gears in my 87 mkiii, car wont shift into 1,3, or 5th gear but 2,4, & r all are working. when i try shifting into those gears clutch or no clutch its all grinding & it wont engage. i was hoping it was the clutch but it doesnt look like it, i just bought it, & it test drove fine everything seemed good to go. the guy told me he had to much tranny oil in it which can mess with the syncros so i drained about a quart, after the gears started spazzing, still the same issue. the oil was clean no metal shavings or anything like that. so with my little knowledge on transmissions im looking for some help. i appreciate any help you guys got for me.

·
Super Moderator
11,529 Posts
If 2, 4, and R all work but 1-3-5 don't, Chances are you have a bent shift fork. Time to get the trans rebuilt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i read through the forum found a guy with the same problem, 8 it was a bushing. ppl were also suggesting it could have been a bent shifter hopefully i have a cheaper fix like that than having to mess with the syncros at all

·
not a poopra anymore!
1,095 Posts
sorry to thread jack but i have a similar trans prob.

basically i dropped the motor, trans and front frame out from the car. when going back in i never took the shifter off the trans. went to jack the trans up in place and the shifter hit the floor. didnt poke through but it ended up damaging my reverse, it grinds every time no matter what.

thats just my recent problem...ever since i got the car, 1st gear has always been a bitch to get into gear. it doesnt grind but its just really hard, like im having to slide past a notch or something.

ive never torn into the trans, ive seen some pics of dissasembly and it looks ridiculous. am i looking at one of those easy(er) change parts or should i expect a full rebuild? im sure i can tear into the case and do the rebuild just fine, just wondering if i should spend the coin on every part or just the ones i need....most logical/cheapest solution?

·
not a poopra anymore!
1,095 Posts
thanks, but i already went through that last night. i just dont know what component is likely bad...after i posted the question, i looked at the tsrm and i think no matter what i want to fix itll have to be completely dismantled.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i got the bushing today im gonna check it out tmrrw, i also noticed my slave cylinder isnt pushing my fork far enough i tried to fix it, but still the same problem, so i ordered a new slave cylinder, keep trouble shooting i guess. lol

·
Registered
361 Posts
is your slave cylinder wet around push rod?
inside of boot wet?

have you tried bleeding your slave cylinder?

possible your clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder is leaking fluid past seals

·
not a poopra anymore!
1,095 Posts
^^^^bingo.

if it were leaking past the seals, the fork go out and then slowly go back in (while still holding foot to the floor) unless its just totally shot...in that case, the fluid will leak past the seals so quickly that it wont even disengauge the clutch, so as long as you have all the air bled from the system, 1 of the cyls is the prob.

also, its kinda rare, but these cars are getting old nowadays, rubber hoses can expand quite a bit and make it feel like a clutch adjustment or weak slave/master.

·
not a poopra anymore!
1,095 Posts

see the shift forks and shafts...im curious if the #1 shift fork is your problem like bass says so. if it were to break the bottom end, it looks like it would stop the #3+5 shafts from moving.

i have a similar problem but only #1 is hard, it goes into gear, but its a bitch and its not right. im looking up rebuild kits this week because ill need to make this all right before going back in with this new motor im buying friday.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i gotta say again thanks for all the help guys, i did bleed the air out of the cylinder, and i could get it in first when i was toying w/ it on the lift but its just not fully extending on its own while driving. thats why i ordered another one it was only $30 at pepboys & everywhere else(well $70 at the dealership) once i swap that ill be able to see if its that or narrow it down a little farther, im gonna pull my shifter tmrrw and check that bushing

·
Registered
215 Posts
i had this exact problem a little while ago before tx2k11... it was my bushing. it was old and cracked in half and got jammed down right in the way to where i could not go in 1,3 or 5.. the bushing was 10$ at dealership. check that first before u take anything else apart that u might not need to..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts