Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to post several tech questions so fast, but I'm trying to get my upgrade path lined up. I have heard that using one of the regular upgraded clutches with an aftermarket flywheel eliminates the torsional damping that Toyota put into the system. They seemed to think it was better to put it in the flywheel instead of the clutch. I know that TRD sells a twin disk clutch setup with, I expect, a lightened flywheel. I noticed that the clutch disks have sprung hubs (or whatever they are called).

Does this provide enough torsional damping?

What kind of power holding and reliability could I expect from this pricey clutch/flywheel combo?

BTW, I am not a regular at the dragstrip, so I don't intend to abuse it that way. I am trying to build a road racer and expect to get a decently sized turbo. I want about 650 at the wheels or so.

Thanks,
Peace

·
Registered
284 Posts
Best clutch setup for a dawg is OS Giken Twin or Triple or HKS Triple or even HKS Twin to save money since you wont run the track often. The harmonic thing has to do a lot iwth the crank. Some speculations on having a lightweight fly with an aftermarket crank pulley. But to answer your question, OS Giken Twin/Triple or to save some pennies HKS Twin/Triple.

Note - The HKS Triple is known to make some idle noise, it's al ittle rough. Read somewhere they're making a new clucth setup though. Also the OS Giken Triple might make some noise also, look into it first.

·
Ex-MKIV TT OWNER
92 Posts
I'm also trying to figure out what clutch to use.
I think the HKS twin disk lists for $1600ish, is that with everything needed for the install. Also, if after some abuse the clutch is spent, what would it cost to have it rebuilt?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Torsional damping

I know you will stress your crank by using a non-damped crank pulley, but I have also heard that you will stress the transmission by using a non-damped clutch/flywheel setup.

·
Registered
284 Posts
That whole thing about lightweight fly and UR pulley is BS. The only way you have problems down there is if your cranki is damaged or something. DT had somthing wrong with something related to the crank that set it all off. Because of that he could not run that setup. Most people can run it, I mean UR doesn't sell something that doesn't work in the real world anyhow. Some people have had creek, but that happens for a few reason mostly related to some sort of engine trouble.

·
Super Moderator
4,426 Posts
I have the HKS Twin Disk .....and i love it....would recommend it highly. I daily drive my car.....and drag race.....just for reference it hold up to about 30 passes off rev limiter before it starts slipping a little. But since you wont be at drag strip that often....will be no problem. It makes noise with clutch out and in.....but trust me when i say you get used to it . Its not that bad. Every tiwn i seen and heard makes noise. HKS, OS GIKEN twins, Triples.....So expect noise with any twin/triple setup......or basically any with lightweight flywheel. Clutch pedal is almost non existant....very easy. Its a beast for first 1000 miles of break in...but once past that its easy clutch to operate. And as for how much to replace when it starts going.......160.00 for 2 new disks.....thats it. This will be 3rd time i will be putting in new disks. So after the initial cost.....its very cost effective next few times.since can just change out the disks. And after buying clutch will need to buy approx 100.00 of little extras...(flywheel bolts, etc etc.) So hope i helped out at least for info on the HKS Twin Disk. Any other questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The UR crank pulley/ Flywheel thing has been beaten to death in plenty of other threads so just do a search on it and you can get plenty of opinions and varying experiences with that and accompanying clutch ideas as well. UR has sold about 1000 of those crank pulleys but you do see tons for sale used from people who didn't like them so it's really a personal choice. For road racing the TRD twin looks like a pretty nice unit and it's about the same cost as the HKS twin, and it has sprung hub disks w/ it's lightened FW so it should be (comparitively) quiet to most. And it holds the HP rating you want, but most multi plates do... Pretty much nothing is as quiet as the stock flywheel in new condition but if you plan on putting the power down then you have to make some sacrifices...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts