Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a clutchmasters fx850 twin plate clutch which I assume it’s worn out. The nut that holds the clutch master cylinder rod was loose allowing it to turn over time, raising the biting point and slowly wearing itself out. That’s what I assume anyway. Clutch won’t hold anything over 1.7 bar on a 6870. Rpm jumps from 4-8k instantly slipping.

That all said I currently have the street version but looking to replace the clutch discs with the race version.

does anyone know roughly what power either the street or race fx850 clutch genuinely hold?

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,525 Posts
Make the switch to the FX1000

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Replacement clutches for my current FX850 are $700, the FX1000 is $2,250. Would need to understand the benefits for the large price difference.

·
Registered
89 Turbo - 2JZGE-T VVti (build/swap in progress)
253 Posts
I've heard good things about clutch masters' customer service. Maybe try giving them a call and asking them directly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Having used FX850 Double and Triple Discs, the FX1000 is absolutely light years more enjoyable to drive. Went from never recommending FX to customers to putting the 1000 at the top of the list.

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,525 Posts
^^^ Same exact thing here. Hated the FX850 and never recommended it to anyone and now I put FX1000 in everything from BPU to 1200+whp cars.

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,525 Posts
Yes!!

·
Registered
936 Posts
The Southbend clutches are around $980, for the stage 2 (495 ft/lbs) or 3 (660 ft/lbs) Endurance. I have an OLD Southbend clutch in my BPU 94, and it's perfect, feels like stock, holds the current 400rwhp just fine. When the upgrade goodies (FSR kit, Haltech, Radium fuel etc etc) go in next month (I hope) I was planning on upgrading to a SB stage 3 Endurance.

What makes the FX1000 worth the extra $1200 ?

·
Registered
89 Turbo - 2JZGE-T VVti (build/swap in progress)
253 Posts
Added bonus, nearly zero plate chatter.
Anyone here run an OSGIKEN T2RCD? I'm worried about clutch chatter. I bought this clutch because I read it was an ultra-streetable twin-disc.

·
Old School
4,126 Posts
I’ve had a TR2CD since 2009. It makes some noise at idle when the trans fluid is hot but is otherwise an excellent and not difficult to drive clutch.

Edit: I don’t find the noise level objectionable.

·
Super Moderator
10,808 Posts
I’ve had a TR2CD since 2009. It makes some noise at idle when the trans fluid is hot but is otherwise an excellent and not difficult to drive clutch.

Edit: I don’t find the noise level objectionable.
Yeah, what he said. Had the TR2CD in Eau Rouge since 2006. Idle is at 1,000 rpm (264 cams). Very little chatter. That said, chatter never bothered me. Had it since 1998 (R3C and RC4 in Blackie).

Ken.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts