Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
TT This
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm meeting with a guy that does CNC machine work this weekend or sooner, to go over machining the top cover in aluminum. We could also possibly scribe in the "Supra" logo or the Supra logo plus 2JZ-GTE, 2JZ-NAT, or 2JZ-GE whatever down where the factory writing is on the cover. Would anyone be interested as once we get the drawing down of this and get it into the CNC we could spit out more. I don't know the price as of yet but I'm paying the guy to do the drawing up and his time to enter it into the CNC. So I'll bite the bullet for that :). If your interested reply or PM me so I can get a gauge of the amount.

Replace this

With a scribed in Supra logo with or without 2JZ etc... writing.

·
Banned
4,144 Posts
We looked into making this piece not long ago. The cost was massive given that the billet material was so huge. Machine time to do it right is also very, very time consuming. There are a lot of little nooks and overlapping edges on the piece. I'd be interested in seeing a price to compare it to what we were seeing.

Eric

·
TT This
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was massive just to do the upper cover? not the whole thing. The upper actually seems like a pretty simple piece.

·
Banned
4,144 Posts
Figure a block of aluminum to start 12"L x 7"H x 2.5"D. Just the material alone was very pricey. It's 98% of the material removed, which would take time, and holding it in the jaws would be a "B". I'm not saying it can't be done, but it would be expensive to make it right with all of the funky radius' about. The Supra script is another PITA. We have over 700 lines of code just in our script alone, but we got it crisp and clear.

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
that script is perfect! Nice work.....

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
that cover won't ever be reasonably priced as a billet part, but as a casting with secondary machining it would be. Though I see no real benefit, not even for bling if it is a cast part.

cowboy, what did they do to get that? Raster to dxf?

·
Banned
397 Posts
Why was the supra script hard to do? There is some place around here that does CO2 laser engraving on just about anything, and they can take any vector based file format, they even support photoshop file formats.

·
Banned
397 Posts
Looks great, RRocket. What software do you use? I'd really like to get into CNC. I have a good deal of experience in 3D studio, so I assume this would somewhat translate well.

I was looking at getting one of those rapid prototyping machines that connect to your computer and can create a part out of a type of styrofoam.

·
Banned
4,144 Posts
It's not bad at all, I work with a shop that uses Solid Edge 18, and they can make much the same renderings. If you're familiar with the software it should be no problem. Your piece looks outstanding, however with an hour worth of machine time, and material sized 22"x1"x6", the cost to the consumer would be tremendous. Especially with spark plug covers that take less than five minutes on the mill already on the market. That's the trick. There is a number of items that I would love to have manufactured, however cost per piece and volume play heavily in to the equation. This is why having the middle timing belt cover cast with finishing machining may be the right way to go rather that machining out of a massive single billet.

Eric

·
TT This
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thought I'd update here since I met with the guy tonight. He took about 8,723 measurements of the timing cover and all. I worked with him to try to come up with ideas to decrease the amount of michining required. We came up with a few. He's going to draw it up and I'm meeting with him in about a week to look at his full size drawings. He is going to talk to his machinist to get a better clue of the exact price but he quoted me 300-400 to do just one. Which there is a 100 dollar charge to enter the machining data into the CNC included in that price. He did say if I can get a few more interested the price would more than likely be below 200 maybe even 175 or so depending on how many he spits out at one time. He can also have the "Supra" logo etched in for like 5 bucks he said?! So if anybody is interested now's the time to speak up...

·
TT This
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright...since my thread was stolen and other's have thrown in ideas I have no idea if you guys are talking to me about the timing cover or RRockets stuff.

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
NinetyFiveNA said:
Alright...since my thread was stolen and other's have thrown in ideas I have no idea if you guys are talking to me about the timing cover or RRockets stuff.
I guess the comments are dedicated to the spark plug cover.
BTW I would also be in for one :)
Gerd

1 - 20 of 34 Posts