Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I have read multiple threads and just want to know the best way to fix this. Od light rarely comes on and flashes. Trans mainly from stop and go can't make up its mind what to do. The car was driving perfect mostly then this just got worse. Should you replace the sensor VSS or this wire thing? My odometer is fine and is everything else. Just a funny idle, gear searching feels like almost doesn't want to accelerate. What is the best way to do this. Please help I just bought it 94 TT auto. Higher miles. Thanks much

·
Im A Fuking Ninja!!!
4,584 Posts
your symptoms does not lead me to think it is the VSS, you could try it and it would not hurt anything, if anything it seems like your tranny is going out due to your description of the car not wanting to accelerate.

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
these cars have problems with the cold solder points on the odometer housing. (after 17 years, etc)

if you dont want to try anything aggressive, i would swap in a known working odometer and see if that fixes it, then you can do the odometer housing wire splice technique. (it fixed the problem on my car. mine kicked on check engine light everytime i hit 5th gear)

i would look there before the VSS itself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sorry I did not label that it does throw code 42 which is VSS. I can take the car out and it drives and shifts perfect then it will act funny. The light sometimes flashes for a while then when restarting the car goes away. I mainly notice this gear searching most noticeable from stop then going. It does accelerate ok but almost like it shifts into gears quick. There is no slip feeling nor any hard banging.. How can a trans shift wonderful then not? Not sure what to do here. I drove the car 5 straight hours and had no problem just the Od off light flash mainly. Maybe a weird idle sometimes too. Where do you splice into the wire? Could it hurt to try? My odometer reads perfect as well as the speedometer and other gauges

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I had this exact code and would occasionally get a VERY HARD shift from my transmission. I fixed my solder points on the ODO circuit board and the other one w/ the warning lights, and the problems went away. I highly recommend it, especially if you have been messing around with the dash and wiggling the harness attachments.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Just bought a mkiv with the same problem.

Did the re-wire and the problem was fixed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What problems did you have? I removed my odometer and Texted every solder joint and was working perfect. I have been looking to replace the actual sensor because I have higher mileage. How exactly do you do this splice trick without risking other damage to other components? A new speed sensor #1 is 70 and #2 250. Has anyone replaced both of these sensors and taking a different approach? The odometer and every location has power. How do you rule out to cutting a wire?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had the following similar problem. FYI, the signal goes from the speed sensor, to the speedo, to the odometer, and then to the ecu, from there the cruise control etc.
My odometer was not registering sometimes, and my auto trans (high mileage) was acting funny, seemed as if it didnt know the appropriate gear to go to, as if it didnt know how fast the car was going. My O/D off light would flash, and my cruise also didnt work consistently.
I removed the 5 screws above the gauge cluster allowing the odometer and indicators to come loose. I skinned the blue/red wire coming from the odometer multiplug. I then cut the pink wire directly next to it (in the direction of the passenger side of the car) and blanked off the end connected to the multiplug. I then spliced the (pink) end coming from the bundle of wires into the skinned blue.red wire. The blue red wire is odo input, the pink wire is the output. This essentially bypassed the faulty soldering in the odometer. This brought my cruise back online, got rid of the code, and most importantly my trans works without a hiccup now. The odometer still does not register properly. But the peskiest of the problems is gone. I researched this and most people, despite quite a variety of symptoms, found their problem with a faulty odometer. This fix bypasses the reliance on the odometer for signal for other functions. hope this helped, pm for more help if needed.

·
Registered
527 Posts
How many threads are you going to start on this? You need a new odometer.

Steve
Thank you.. I posted this yesterday and then deleted it but it looks like two recent threads with the same post and complaints.
I dont see that the OP has tried any of the advice given to him...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.