Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have a prefferene and or bad experience with a set of coil overs specificalty for drifting anyone have and what brand would be best for me if i wanted to have a drift/drag set up

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
What ever you do, don't go with JIC coilovers. From what I've heard from 240 owners, they're junk. I don't know how well they did with supras, but I wouldn't take a chance.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anyone liek tein i herd they were really nice

·
Registered
137 Posts
i have the JIC on my car, they aren't bad, wish they were stiffer.... no complaints on build quality so far, i would have gone silkroads myself though. teins suck, they weren't making money in japan and came to the states. they rust, fast. but then again if it's all you can afford, then that's the way to go.

·
Drifter 4 Life!
377 Posts
anyone running the buddy clubs??

i saw the spring rates were like 18 up front and 10 or 12 in the back....

curious if anyone has em!

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
Curtis Chen has them on his supra. I'll be setting it up on the track soon. If you are looking for a good setup to drift with, check out some of the threads in the road race section. There is no difference between a quality road race setup and a quality drift set up.

But you don't have to take my word for it, Rhys Millen says the same thing...

·
Banned
747 Posts
I don't know all that much about technical stuff, but I'm pretty sure you can have drift/drag coil overs. A quote from my friend Marty when someone on another board asked a similar question.

Just soften up the rear and you got a drag car. Stiffen it up for drift, easy fix. As for horsepower, I'd like to see you try and control a high horsepower car, you wouldn't be cheating.
and my friend Nick

You can do both with good suspension, hell with about 3k worth of tein's you can do it while in the car If you want to be completly perfect instead of just a quick fix it is possible to get all the right components and change it over to fully drift or drag it can be done in a few hours... removal of strut bars, changing spring rates.. so on.
Good luck. I love drifting. I hate drag racng now that I drift. It's s much more relaxing to me.

G

·
trainwreck said:
There is no drift/drag setup, its 1 or the other
hes right., drift and drag setups are very dissimilar.... drift and roadrace are very much alike....as for good coilovers... try and find something rather stiff in the front ,BUT NOT TOO STIFF

on a supra, if its track mostly, id do something like a Kei office..22 kg front, 18kg rear.. super stiff, and super worth it,

but yeah, id do somehting deff higher than 14/8 kg.... and keep it within 4.. so yeah, anything like 20k & 16k would be nice, or stiffer, Stiffer FTFW

as for "what to look for".... damper adjustability is somehting people enjoy, jsut make sue the shock body is valved for good pause, IE - "valved for drifting"

G

·
supra drifter said:
Silkroads Baby
silkroads are deff not stiff enough in the rear... 1ok rear = slop

as for JIC's guys, they make a fully customizable setup for fairly cheap, custom spring rates etc.. check em out

G

·
Coilovers are like a Fudruckers hamburger - you can't just take it the way they give it to you (plain bun and meat) and expect it to be great. You need to customize it to your application.

What brand of shocks is best is an invalid question. Also, one cannot just make a blanket statement like JIC's sucks, or Tein's suck. You could throw a $10,000 set of Moton's or Pense shocks on your car and they would suck if not set up properly.

Almost any off the shelf shock will need to be rebuilt with different spring rates and valving to suit your application if you want to get the most out of them. Just like adding BPU's - you need to tune the thing or else it will run like crap. You need to have the shocks tuned, or else they will feel like harsh bouncy crap.

The question one should be asking is, "What type of spring rates should I be using, and what sort of compression and rebound dampning curves should I be shooting for to properly control that spring." If you don't really want the best handling, and will be satisfied with pretty good, then an off-the-shelf shock that comes tuned closest to optimal would be OK.

G

·
i agree and isagree, i mean, these companies put countless hours into R&D to provide buyers with a tuned suspension... i think it will require more of the other parts tuning in companion with the coilovers... like i said ^^^.. JIC offers fulyl customizeable setups for a few bucks more... its really not a big mystery though, you find the right spring rate matched with the right damper and thats it, toe, camber and castor should not be relied upon upper pillowball mounts.... deff. seek out some good multilink that is adjustable and has nice stiff bishungs and/or good quality heim joints

·
Registered
320 Posts
i just bought a set of the meagan racing track spec coilovers for my mk3 project, which will see mostly drift and occasional track days. they do come pretty stiff though, with 18kg front and 14 kg rear spring rates. i'll give up dates on how they are as sonn as i get the car done.

·
Registered
190 Posts
s15driftking said:
hes right., drift and drag setups are very dissimilar.... drift and roadrace are very much alike....as for good coilovers... try and find something rather stiff in the front ,BUT NOT TOO STIFF

on a supra, if its track mostly, id do something like a Kei office..22 kg front, 18kg rear.. super stiff, and super worth it,

but yeah, id do somehting deff higher than 14/8 kg.... and keep it within 4.. so yeah, anything like 20k & 16k would be nice, or stiffer, Stiffer FTFW

as for "what to look for".... damper adjustability is somehting people enjoy, jsut make sue the shock body is valved for good pause, IE - "valved for drifting"
Kei Office went out of buisness

Max

1 - 20 of 52 Posts