1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
testing coil pack now any quick advice is helpful********

@ high rpm my car hesitates!!!!!!
I suspected a boost leak but found none,

I then checked over my spark plug wires with my timing light to see if the wires were getting power

I found that the timing light would not flash on both of the wires comming off the middle coil pack but was very functional on the remaining wires

when I removed the boot off the spark plug while the car was on it sparked then

my question is
Do the coil packs weaken or just fail?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you take your timing light and put the sensor on any of the wires and pull the trigger the light on the gun will flash to that cylinder i did that because i suspected somethinf wrong with a coil pack

·
7m power
1,059 Posts
theres a reason its called a timing light and not a spark plug wire tester,if i was you ill check that the timing is correct and also your spark plugs

·
89 Turbo
373 Posts
Don’t worry, I check the same way you do, all it does is check for current in the wire.
That’s all you need,

But if I where you I would check the wires going to the coil pack, from the igniter. Make sure everything is all snug and if that all checks out check it with a volt meter.

I believe coil packs usually don’t just go bad; but you never know…

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
check it with ohm meter.

Reason is that at the voltages being produced by the coils, it will jump a gap easily but it will show an open on the ohm meter. That is why testing with timing light is pointless.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts