Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I was changing the spark plugs during the weekend and came across to the 1 of 2 phillip screws holding the 3rd coilpack from the front of the engine, the top is completely stuffed up, as in if you put the screw driver in there, you won't be able to turn the screw itself as the slot is almost like a circle where else before its like a cross.

I've spoken with a mechanic, and came up with different opinion, one said I need to actually take the whole head out, and drill the screw from the bottom, because if drilled from top, the cracked pieces will fall down to the bottom into the engine cyclinder itself and then stuff up the engine completely!!. But some other mechanic said there shouldn't be any problem from drilling ontop of the engine as long as you know what you are doing.

So I'm really lost here, at the moment, and wondering if anyone on the forum has experienced similar problems, or anyone can enlighten me abit.

Thanks

Lance.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
well damn. if the screws are still in there i'm assuming so are the coils and plugs. if the plugs are still in there then you have no problem...drill away. first you should try to carve a slot in there with a dremel or something and try turning it with a flat screwdriver or maybe an impact driver.
if the plugs are out, put them back in or plug the spark plug hole with a town and then go for it. just remember, after your done with drilling it blow everything out with air. do this before you unplug the holes.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Why do people take those screws out anyway,when all you have to do is unscrew the two 10 mm bolts that holds the both coil packs out.this way you only remove the three assy.plus that's what the manual says to do.
Those screws has thread lock on them,so you will strip the philp heads out.If you want to take those screws out you should heat the screw up then loosen them.Those screws should not be touch unless you are changing the coils.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,353 Posts
jam98tt said:
Why do people take those screws out anyway,when all you have to do is unscrew the two #10 bolls that holds the both coil packs out.this way you only remove the three assy.plus that's what the manual says to do.
Those screws has thread lock on them,so you will strip the philp heads out.If you want to take those screws out you should heat the screw up then loosen them.Those screws should not be touch unless you are changing the coils.
I never understood why people undo the screws either. It's much easier to just remove the two 10mm bolts holding each pair of coilpacks down.

BTW, get a new mechanic.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jam98tt said:
Why do people take those screws out anyway,when all you have to do is unscrew the two #10 bolls that holds the both coil packs out.this way you only remove the three assy.plus that's what the manual says to do.

Hi dude,

that's exactly what I'm having trouble with, one of the two 10mm phillip threws that hold onto each side of the coilpack, is stuffed up, so I can only remove one of them and not the other, so the coilpack and the spark plug is trapped...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
supralover93 said:
well damn. if the screws are still in there i'm assuming so are the coils and plugs. if the plugs are still in there then you have no problem...drill away. first you should try to carve a slot in there with a dremel or something and try turning it with a flat screwdriver or maybe an impact driver.
if the plugs are out, put them back in or plug the spark plug hole with a town and then go for it. just remember, after your done with drilling it blow everything out with air. do this before you unplug the holes.
Yes, that's right at the moment, everything is still under there, so at the moment I've got 5 new spark plugs and 1 old spark plugs, which I couldn't change.

So you are saying, drill from the top, and it won't get into the engine cylinder?, because one of the mechanic told me he had a 1st hand experience with 2JZ-GTE, (he was in hongkong before), and one of his guy working for him had drilled the two phillip screws that was holding onto the coilpack and it went into the cyliner!!..and that just completely stuffed the car up.

I'm just being careful here, because I really don't want to one tiny little screw to cost me a whole engine rebuild.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
PowerToBurn said:
Hi dude,

that's exactly what I'm having trouble with, one of the two 10mm phillip threws that hold onto each side of the coilpack, is stuffed up, so I can only remove one of them and not the other, so the coilpack and the spark plug is trapped...

Those screws are not 10mm.Those 4 screws are a#2 phillps tip.The 2 bolts one on each side is 10mm socket.those are the ones you should be removing and when you are tightening them don,t over do them or you will strip the threads out.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
O so your talking about the 2 10mm bolts not the 2 philips head screws. well you do the same thing, drill right down the center maybe 1/4 of the way then use a easy out/extractor to pull it out. if you can, take a pic.
and ya get rid of that mechanic, if he said to remove a head on a 2j just to get a bolt out, then he's never even SEEN a 2j.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll take some picture tonight and post it up,

thanks for all the inputs guys, appreicated. :) ..

·
Member Thingy
1,119 Posts
I've had to extract those before, it was a real pain becuase it was right above the number 6 cylinder and clearance was tight. There is no worry of dropping parts into the cylinder itself, those six threaded holes that the coilpacks screw into don't go all the way to the cylinder, only the spark plug does. Just pull the stripped bolts the normal way.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
kale said:
I've had to extract those before, it was a real pain becuase it was right above the number 6 cylinder and clearance was tight. There is no worry of dropping parts into the cylinder itself, those six threaded holes that the coilpacks screw into don't go all the way to the cylinder, only the spark plug does. Just pull the stripped bolts the normal way.
Geeze dude, that's a real pain, I know, especially when the space is so tight, damn....

so you just got it drilled out ?..and then using air to blow whatever the pieces have left over and then just pulled it out?..

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Okie,

Here are the pictures,

I hope we are all talking about the same screws here, on the 2nd picture, the Right arrow with the circle is where I couldn't unbolt.

and also on the 2nd picture, the red arrow and circle on the left hand side, what are the things does that screw holds onto?..if i take that off? would it remove the complete coilpack from the engine??..

·
2jz powered
1,688 Posts
the 10mm bolt on the left is what you undo. there should be one on the other side too. it holds the pair of coils where the screw is stripped.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SoarerTT said:
the 10mm bolt on the left is what you undo. there should be one on the other side too. it holds the pair of coils where the screw is stripped.
Thanks for that dude,

looks like its an eazy job after all, I hope..

·
Space for sale
983 Posts
Hm... taking the coilpacks out..

i dont even think a phillips screwdriver is even needed for the job? Just a 10mm socket, wrench, extention..etc..

You might be trying to unscrew a screw that doesn't apply to what you are trying to do.

(someone please correct me if i'm wrong, its been awhile)

G

·
Lintrix said:
Hm... taking the coilpacks out..

i dont even think a phillips screwdriver is even needed for the job? Just a 10mm socket, wrench, extention..etc..

You might be trying to unscrew a screw that doesn't apply to what you are trying to do.

(someone please correct me if i'm wrong, its been awhile)

Absoultly the best way, just pull your two vacumm hoses out, unclip your ignition clips and undo the 10mm bolts and pull out... Easy, clean and fast. If you ever strip the 10mm bolt, Sears craftsman has a bolt/strip extractor... there are multiple sizes you find the closest fit, and it digs into the sides of the bolt and lets you pull it right off without going through the hassle of trying to drill anything --- just extra info if this every happens.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
yup looks like the 10's are good, thats what you need to get out. as for those 2 hoses, i don't know when you replaced them last but if its been a while then you might want to get new one's because those will probably break. good luck.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
wow, people disassemble the coilpacks to change the plugs? Damn, even my first time doing it I could cleearly see that all you needed to do is unbolt the 6 10mm bolts and be done with it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the replies fellas,

I can see what I am doing wrong here, ;p ..

I'll go home tonight and change the last plug which has been stuck in there for awhile..

Cheers All!.. :D ..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts