Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Hardtopper
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading back to the track next weekend for the first time on HKS Hipermax II coilovers (previously on the bone stock suspension). Hoping to get some experienced feedback on where to start with the damper settings. I'm running 27x10.5x16 ET Streets on FD RX-7 wheels and my best 60's on the stock suspension were low 1.6's -- hoping to get down into the 1.5's. I'm thinking relatively stiff in the front and somewhere in the middle for the rear? They're 32-way adjustable and I've found with 0 being the softest and 32 being the hardest around 10-12 seems to be pretty close to stock.

Regarding ride height, while the car is lowered 1.5 or so inches all the way around I plan to raise the rears back up to near the stock height for a little extra clearance and to zero the Camber back out. This will obviously give the car a rake with the front still lowered -- any issue with this?

As a side note, I recently put my stereo back in so now I've got 80-100lbs back in the rear and it helped traction on the street a LOT. It's been out of the car since before I went single and I forgot how much it helped having the weight over the rear tires. I think the traction benefits will outweigh the weight gain!

Any input would be greatly appreciated! :bigthumb:

·
Hardtopper
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? :dunno:

As a side note, I completely redid my 2-step/anti-lag activation switch today. Previously I was using the the stock clutch starter switch, but the 2-step would disengage before the clutch was engaged. I'm now using a normally-closed switch that activates the 2-step as soon as the pedal begins to depress -- works like a champ!

Rush Racing Anti-lag rocks! I can build 12psi in about 1 second at only 4400RPM on my 72mm! :rockon:

·
Hardtopper
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:run:

·
Hardtopper
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I had the car aligned on the stock suspension I had the rear camber pushed out as far as the stock hardware would allow, which is about -.03 or so. Lowering it on the coilovers introduced a little more negative camber, so I plan to raise the rear back up to the stock ride height to bring the camber back in.

·
Hardtopper
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I raised the rear back up about last night; the car is ready to go if the weather holds out tomorrow. Can't believe no one has any input RE: damper settings.... :sad:

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Raising the back end wont help weight transfer. And it might not help camber either - that is if on the launch the rear drops to the same height whether it's raised ht or normal ht. Dont forget, if it drops to the same ht on the launch, it's the same camber, whether you see it or not at rest.

I would set up the car to be level, regardless of which height you choose. There is a reason you dont see the raked look of the 70's any more!

The rule of thumb drag shock settings are stiff in the rear to plant the tires, and the fronts set for the car to rise slowly to full extension. When all else fails, there's Google! http://www.baselinesuspensions.com/info/Launching_A_Drag_Car.htm

Like I mentioned in the other thread, the Rock hooked a lot better earlier in the evening last month. Have fun down there!

Al

·
Hardtopper
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Al! I've googled but was hoping to get some Supra-specific input.

RE: Ride height -- The car actually sits fairly level now that I've raised it up (only about 5 turns or ~0.5"). It was level before, but since I put my sub box back in, the extra 80-100lbs caused the rear to sag a little. I'm hoping the car won't squat nearly as hard as it did on the stock suspension. The camber was basically zero'd at static, but the car would squat so hard on the launch it was riding/spinning on the inside corners of the tires (as reference by the wear), once the tires spun the suspension would unload and it was just all over the place. My best 60's were produced by slipping the clutch a little longer to keep the rear down. I'm hoping I can actually come out of the hole on the 2-step now! I'm going to start with a lot less tire pressure as well -- probably 12.5 - 13psi

I'll start with a medium-stiff setting in the rear and medium in the front and go from there, unless anyone has any better suggestions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts