Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed my hks coilovers and just went to my first autocross where i got the map confused and overpowered through corners. was wonder what settings you have on the car right now. I have 5/35 on the fronts and 7/35 on the rears. The stiffness seems fine for daily driving. any recommendation to balance to the car more? thanks!

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
which HKS coilovers?

Not that it matters, because I believe you are the first I know of to be driving competitively on a set...

But in order to help, we'd need a discription of what the car is doing, and what you want to change. then we could possibly give some suggestions. But it is impossible to say for sure without driving it.

You'd be a lot better off if you listed your tires, sizes, pressures, the rest of your suspension mods, alignment specs, and some discription of how the car is acting. (does it understeer on corner entry? does it snap oversteer when you step on the throttle, etc)

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What??? why do people buy $1500 plus setups if they arent going to race on them. it would seem you never push the car as frequently or as hard as when you xcrossing or road racing. my hks coilvers (purchased secondhand) have not been confirmed. all i know is that they are for roadracing, have 35 settings, have a "damper" sticker on it and were guessed by the previous owner as hipermaxs.

I can't tell what i am doing is more car or mroe driver. the rear would definately whip and sometimes come around on me in the slalom, but that could have been me oversteering and overpowering . i just read somewhere on this board that people put the fronts on reasonable setting and then crank the rears to the hardest setting.

sotck rims, yokohama evs1000 tires at roughly 32 in the front and 31 in the rear.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
plenty of track experience with coilovers here. Just not the HKS stuff.

Others may take a stab at what you should do, but your description doesn't make it any easier to make a suggestion...

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
If you go soft in the front and full hard in the rear you will tend to oversteer.

The relative damping rate should be geared more toward harder front to make the car less neutral.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oversteer does seem like what may have been happening. I would to switch things around. what front heavy setting do you have on your car?

and did you mean "more neutral" as opposed to "less neutral." why would i want to make the car less neutral? thanks

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
I'm not front-heavy. I try to keep it relatively balanced, so I run the same stiffness front to rear.

I did mean "less neutral", meaning "more understeer" or "less oversteer" :)

·
Registered
531 Posts
I tend to run more stifness in front and less rear our cars are front heavy. For me at the tracks I run I have had good success with that setup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts