Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing a lot of searching about coilovers versus shocks and springs and am still not sure which way to go. My supra is mostly a daily driver, so I want something that is a little stiffer than stock. My 95 had eibachs on them and they weren't too bad. My only problem was with the eibachs, I had to roll the rear fenders and modify the front fenders. I want to try to avoid this on my 97. I guess that the coilovers may solve this problem, but from what I understand, the ride is a lot rougher and noisier.

Anyone who would like to share their experiences or setups would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm running Tanabe coilovers. The ride is rough, and you can feel every bump. But the car is not my daily driver, so I can deal with it.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
I run the Tein Flex coilovers on my Supra. I figured by the time I pay for a nice set of shocks and springs I could buy a basic set of coilovers for about the same price.

I love my Flex coilovers. I can always adjust the dampening/rebound to a softer setting if a girl is in my car or I'm going on a long road trip.

If you don't need the adjustability of the dampening/rebound you can pick up the Tein Baiscs for pretty cheap. I think around $650-700 brand new. And you can still adjust the height to where you want it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of your replies.....

cwtt,
Do you know if the ride with the tein basics is similar to the ride with the eibach springs, (as far as the dampening/rebound goes)?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
s14roller,

What shocks and springs would you recommend? I've done a little searching and I've noticed that some people go with the KYB AGX shocks with Eibach lowering springs. Does this combination lower the car more than with stock shocks and eibach springs?

·
Undefinable
968 Posts
I put Tein HAs on my car and love them! They no longer make the HA... I think the Super Street is the replacement. Now... I autoX and road race, but it sees plenty of street time too. The Teins are fantastic (16 levels of adjustible dampening) and I have no complaints.

Unless you plan to keep the stock wheels on your car or ones of similar size... I say go with coilovers. Yes, they may cost more, but you can adjust the ride height to exactly what you want (as was mentioned above). You also have more room for wider tires/wheels.

·
Banned
428 Posts
I have a set of the new SS TEINS and I love them!!!! I the stiffness adjustment is amazing...When it is set to soft it felt like when I had Eibachs on the car and when you go all hard the handling on the car is just carzzy. Also the ride height is crazy. When I put them on at first it was still in my garage so I put it all the way to low and wow talk about slaming the car. The rear wheels tucked so sweet... I raised the front a tad and now the car looks sick as hell. I also put on some TRD swaybars and that in combination with the SSs' it made the stearing a lot tighter also. I love my car even more now, it is going to take some relearning again but it will be worth it.

Ty

·
Registered
919 Posts
1timr said:
s14roller,

What shocks and springs would you recommend? I've done a little searching and I've noticed that some people go with the KYB AGX shocks with Eibach lowering springs. Does this combination lower the car more than with stock shocks and eibach springs?
I currently run the KYB AGX shocks with Stock springs.. the ride is amazing.. but prob cuz my springs aren't shot.. however.. I've ben told by the big dogs that if you want to harness high power and still play it safe.. do a good set of coilovers.. yea there more $$ but for 700+ hp it would be a safe/smart investment.

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
1timr said:
s14roller,

I would reccomend the same thing you have listed. People seem to be happy with the KYB / Eibach setup.

I dont believe it should lower the car anymore than stock shocks and eibach springs unless your shocks are shot.

Coilovers like Storm said would be a good investment if the supra will be putting down quite a bit of hp but I assume by you saying it's a DD, the car is probably ~ BPU and won't be autocrossing a whole lot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
stevena,

I want to lower it about an inch, maybe a little more. I like the stance with the eibach springs. But I also like the idea of being able to adjust the ride height.

s14roller,

The fact that I will be putting a single in, I probably will start to consider the coilovers a little more. It will be a daily driver, just with a lot of horsepower...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts