Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at going to Bilsteins and haven't decided on the springs yet, but around $700USD, and am wondering if the HKS Coilovers ($1700USD) are worth the extra $1000.

Yes/No?

(Are the Tein Coilovers good?)

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
The HKS coilovers are some of the best out there. I have ridden in several MKIV's with them and two MKIII's with them too. They are a great GREAT coilover.

For a cheaper alternative you can get the Tein HA's for $988. That's what I sell them for anyway. For only another 288 bucks you can have 21 way adjustable coilovers. I have been through 3 different suspension setups already and coudl have solved it all if I would have just saved up and bought the coils in the first place. :)

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I was looking at them on your site. I'd like to go with Coilovers, what do you think is the best bang for the buck?

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, now that we've established that I want coilovers, are the HKS ones worth the extra money over the Tein ones?

·
Member of Supra*****s
169 Posts
Tein specializes in coilovers and suspension mods while HKS is a bit of everything. I'd stick with Tein as it's their main concept of their work and I've never heard anything about them.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
All right, so Tein seems to be well-liked, are the Flex that much better than the HA's?

What about the RA's? Which would you recommend?

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, the HA's are looking pretty good at this point... Would they allow me to lower the car by about 1"?

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Anyone on SF have the HKS coilovers on a MK3? I've seen them on other cars, but never on a MK3. I'm interested to hear results as well as how easy they are to adjust...

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Ron R has the HKS coilovers Bishop.

Just a word on the Tein RAs... I've had a set on order since February, and all they can tell me is I may have them before the end of the year. Quoted lead time was 6-12 weeks - haha... Probably not the way to go if you want them quickly.

Another very high quality set to look at is the JIC FLT-A2. If it was not for the Tein EDFC system, that's what I would have gone with.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got a link? I'd like to check out prices on them, from what I saw when searching around Google, it looked like about $1800.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Ron R has the HKS coilovers Bishop.
That figures, Ron's car is sweet IIRC. Do you happen to have any contact info for him?

As for Tein's, I'd stay away from HR's or any of the other ones that don't have a dampening adjust. Rattling your teeth out is fun on a road course, but driving everyday like that can get old.

G

·
Quantum Racing Suspension utterly destroys the competition from what everyone I know has told me from supra owners to march super turbo owners. I'm getting a set myself woot.

Aragosta is supposed to be very good as well, but basically, quantum just can't be touched even by ohlins. it's jdm i think...tho might be edm...

melloboy

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got a link Mello?

·
On 2 wheels
750 Posts
Ultra7M said:
I have no complaints about my Tein RA's... They may be a little stiff for strictly street use even at full soft. The Tein EDFC really helps out. As for adjustments the EDFC allows you to go from 16-way to 32-way adjustable. HTH..

Ultra7M
/hijack

sweet car ya got there man...what bodykit and rims are those?

/end hijack

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay, well, I don't want to spend an extreme amount of money on just the suspension, even though I think it is very important, there is a lot of other stuff I'd like to do too.

So I guess the Tein HA's fit that bill perfectly. But I have 3 questions:

1. Are they worth the extra $300 over Bilstein Struts/Eibach Springs?
2. Will they allow me to lower the car about 1" all around?
3. They seem to be a pretty good combination for street use/occasional track use, are they?
4. "They do not include upper pillow ball mounts." I think it's probably worth getting the upper pillow ball mounts, where can I get them?
5. Are The Tein Flex Coilovers worth $400 more? How much of the adjustability is used normally? Do they "feel" better, (same spring rates)

I think that's all. If anyone can answer those questions, I'd be very happy! :D

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
The HKS coilovers are good, but overpriced IMO. The spring rates are pretty tame for any serious road racing, especially in the rear.

Tein RA's rock, but they are a bit choppy for street use unless you live in an area with abnormally smooth streets. The spring rates and bias to the rear (helps understeer) are great.

You also may want to look at Moton if you have a liberal wallet. They make a "club sport" shock system which is more cost effective than their insane race systems. Couple them with some good progressive springs, and you'll have it as good as it gets.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts