Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What year supra did they start using coilpacks in the 2jz-gte?? Reason i ask is because when i was looking up oem parts for my 94 supra TT 6 speed the parts guy said i would need spark plug wires. I don't have a distrubutor i have coil packs. Does a obd1 or odb2 ecu use coilpacks?? I recently just bought the car so thanks for the info in advance!!!

·
HighCompression+Boost=Win
1,884 Posts
All 2JZ-GTE Engines have coilpacks, the guy is looking at parts for a 2JZGE Engine (N/A Supra), both OBD1 and OBD2 Supra Turbos use coilpacks.

·
1,070 Posts
Answers provided above.
Don't trust parts guys unless you are sure they know the Supra.
Especially don't trust the dealer guys.
+1

If the order total isn't much, say $30 worth of parts, I usually bother Curt for part numbers and take that to the dealer. Everything else, I get through Curt.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,349 Posts
In North America the 2JZ-GTE always had 6 coils. The 2JZ-GE had a distributor until 1997, in 1998 when VVT-i was introduced, it got wasted spark 3 coil-on-plug setup without distributor.

In Japan the 2JZ-GTE had 6 coils until 1997, and then in late 1997 when VVT-i was introduced, it also got the wasted spark 3 coil-on-plug setup that the 2JZ-GE got.

So in conclusion:

2JZ-GE w/o(VVT-i): Distributor with 1 coil and 6 plug wires
2JZ-GE w(VVT-i): No Distributor with 3 coils and 3 plug wires (wasted spark)

2JZ-GTE w/o(VVT-i): No Distributor with 6 coils and no plug wires
2JZ-GTE w(VVT-i): No Distributor with 3 coils and 3 plug wires (wasted spark)

Jeff

·
Registered
747 Posts
In North America the 2JZ-GTE always had 6 coils. The 2JZ-GE had a distributor until 1997, in 1998 when VVT-i was introduced, it got wasted spark 3 coil-on-plug setup without distributor.

In Japan the 2JZ-GTE had 6 coils until 1997, and then in late 1997 when VVT-i was introduced, it also got the wasted spark 3 coil-on-plug setup that the 2JZ-GE got.

So in conclusion:

2JZ-GE w/o(VVT-i): Distributor with 1 coil and 6 plug wires
2JZ-GE w(VVT-i): No Distributor with 3 coils and 3 plug wires (wasted spark)

2JZ-GTE w/o(VVT-i): No Distributor with 6 coils and no plug wires
2JZ-GTE w(VVT-i): No Distributor with 3 coils and 3 plug wires (wasted spark)

Jeff
Jeff, absolutely correct. I notice your posts are usually very well informed vs. many other who talk out their ___. However, for this guy, probably more info than he needs since he cannot get a 98 JDM TT in California and in all likelyhood his parts guy cannot see JDM parts. Parts guy was likely just stupid and looked up coil for a NA.

BTW, have you or anyone tried replacement non-OEM coil packs from autoparts warehouse or others? They are about $45 and look exactly the same as OEM. Not a huge amount of technology in a coil. Primary + secondary windings and a diode in a housing. I guess winding varnish/insulation could be a variable. I'm not cheap just curious.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts