Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Defender of the Universe
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me some names of companies that make cold air intake systems for supras, i cant seem to find many. Thanks

·
3,148 Posts
Go to www.mvpmotorsports and look under intakes. Look at the "MAX AIR" intake. I'm a little partial to it. :)

Later, Steve

·
3,148 Posts
Thats should work fine for an NA, but I seriously doubt the connector you have on the end of the filter (and the filter itself) have enough volume to supply a TT (especially BPU) with the needed air.

Later, Steve

·
Always Furious. Now Fast.
447 Posts
I thought about that too, but the thing is is the inlet is 3" which is as big as any part of the IC piping, so it really shouldn't be a limiting factor, right?

Stop trying to pimp your max air box, Steve :)

·
3,148 Posts
The connector is probably fine, but the filter itself my be too small. The issue is passing enough air through a restriction (the filter element) to keep the 3" pipe full of air. You need a lot of surface area on a filter to do this (and air space to supply it). Given that the filter is enclosed, the filter my be to small just so the overall dimensions will be reasonable. I know the stock airbox doesn't have enough volume at BPU levels, because I have seen it on the dyno. Remove the lid and pick up about 10rwhp. If the stock airbox doesn't supply enough volume at BPU, I doubt the filter you have will. Try calling the manufacturer and finding out how much hp the filter should be able to support. If they have done proper testing they should be able to answer that question.

I'm believe the "MAX AIR" offers advantages over anything else on the market or I wouldn't recommend it. Of course I wouldn't make it if I didn't feel that way. :) As soon as I get the opportunity I will make one for my SP63.

Later, Steve

·
4,417 Posts
Hey Steve,

Let me know if you want to make a PHR fitment... I'll be the guinea pig!

·
3,148 Posts
We will see what it would take to get one to fit both. If I can build one that would only need the hole cut in a different location, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Later, Steve

·
Always Furious. Now Fast.
447 Posts
Steve Jarvis said:
The connector is probably fine, but the filter itself my be too small. The issue is passing enough air through a restriction (the filter element) to keep the 3" pipe full of air. You need a lot of surface area on a filter to do this (and air space to supply it). Given that the filter is enclosed, the filter my be to small just so the overall dimensions will be reasonable. I know the stock airbox doesn't have enough volume at BPU levels, because I have seen it on the dyno. Remove the lid and pick up about 10rwhp. If the stock airbox doesn't supply enough volume at BPU, I doubt the filter you have will. Try calling the manufacturer and finding out how much hp the filter should be able to support. If they have done proper testing they should be able to answer that question.

I'm believe the "MAX AIR" offers advantages over anything else on the market or I wouldn't recommend it. Of course I wouldn't make it if I didn't feel that way. :) As soon as I get the opportunity I will make one for my SP63.

Later, Steve
I am not going to make this comment as an argument, because I agree with you 99%. My only comment is that it is a 4" K&N element, and in the configuration I have it in, the area behind the air dam is the real air box. The front of the cone filter is 4" large and has a bullet shaped 'air straightener' dealy. I feel that the flow coming through that 3" inlet is as voluminous (as it is coming from a high pressure area in the air dam) as the air that seeps throught the headlight assembly and other cracks to make it into the area that the max air box creates. Now, if you ran the Max Air system with a headlight removed, forget about it, hands down best...

Definite props to the max air, I am certain that it is a legitimate hp gain, especially on a turbocharged car in hot weather. Again, I don't make the above comments because I think I have reinvented the mousetrap.

·
3,148 Posts
It should would be nice to own a dyno and actually test some of this theory. :) One thing to keep in mind is the "MAX AIR" not only uses "the air that seeps throught the headlight assembly and other cracks" it also uses the factory intake duct that feed the stock airbox including the one mounted on top of the radiator. One other thing. I have not been able to see a difference in the 1/4 mile mph with the headlight in or out. I am not saying that the "MAX AIR" doesn't seem to work with the headlight out, but that it seems to be getting plenty of air even with the headlight in.

Later, Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts