Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
A.E. Motorsports
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at a car show about 200 miles from home and guess what?? The thermostat housing developed a leak on the way!!! I don't know how this could have happened. It drives fine and stays cool on the freeway but as soon as I slow down the stock meter pegs out. I have the normal thermostat in it with about 4000 miles on it. I don't know what to do!! I don't even have tools!! And I didn't place cause my car was pissing coolant when they judged!!! I'm so pissed. If you can tell me anything it would help a ton!!!

·
Anyplace, Anytime
613 Posts
Of coarse check common things like hose leaks and gaskets. Do u have any parts blocked off? if so check that..

And No offense meant to ya... But your at a car show, there has got be some techs and tools there. That should be to identify and help fix the problem.

·
A.E. Motorsports
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guess what? Bubble gum. Sounds crazy but it worked!!! I made it home and took the last 30 miles or so realy easy, kind of a slow cooldown. Got home, sat in the car for about 10 min, and it went a little above half but that's it. I think what happened is the stock thermostat got stuck for some reason or another and held the coolant in the motor, causing it to heat up, expand and simultaniousely piss out of the overflow tank as fast as it could. That must not have been fast enough because it also leaked around the thermostat housing. I don't KNOW but its deffinately getting a new thermostat ASAP. Any ideas what else I should do? Whew, what a day!!
Is it possible 140mph for 15 min fryed the thermostat? I wish for you guys the States had an Autobahn!!!

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
hmm... thermostat gasket? never EVER reuse one, it will leak EVERYTIME if reused.

140MPH for 15 minutes could have done it... headgasket ever been done?

·
A.E. Motorsports
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just flushed the coolant wednesday, I should have changed the thermostat as well but parts are seriousely a PAIN to get here.
As far as the headgasket goes I know it wasn't out before this happened, but It could be taost now. I realy don't need that right now as I don't have the money to fix something like that and this is my dd. I could ride my bike to work I guess! Just the price of gas here would get me the money within the month!
Ill get some tests done and see if that's the problem.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
yeah, that sustained strain could definately blow a stock headgasket...

·
A.E. Motorsports
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hehe well, at least I know that now!! But there's no feeling greater than passing a ferrari like its standing still in a 5000 dollar car! Hmm... Looks like I need better reliability (yes I shift blame a lot). Ill post when I do the compression and leakdown what I find. Thaks for the help guys!

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
do a good metal headgasket job and it WILL be reliable...

·
90T
466 Posts
Could be that little 90 degree rubber hose that's tucked under the thermo housing. Do you know for sure where it was leaking from?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts