Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hate to admit .... but we did it again. Left the "beloved" family dog outside all night. good thing our boston, reggie, is very fat and it was 28 degrees outside.

anyway, looking for advise on how to approach this problem. a little background. we have two dogs--- 5 y/o reggie the fatty boston, and his geriatric sister --16 y/o mut (chimmey)

older dog always barks to come in, and they generally operate as a team (aka both out, both in virtually always)

the forgetting reggie outside overnight problem has only happened 3-4 previous times. im trying to brainstorm the best approach here...

1. its me. pull my head out of my ass and treat the dog like its child. check every night to see he is in his dog bed/room sleeping. (side note, dog cant sleep in our room bc he is noisy and his farts smell like a frat house). I will have to enforce this new protocol with the wife because it really means the last person awake at night has to add "doggie checkoff" to the nightly secure the house protocol. we have two small children so the nightly stuff is centered around that (their needs, stuff for tomorrow etc) so unfortunately the dogs are 2nd priority

2. somehow teach this dog to bark / ring a bell to come inside. problem is he is timid and i get the feeling he sits outside thinking "am I in trouble" .... and this prevents him from doing anything to make noise to come inside.

3. put out an outside dog house. Im in the country so this is a possibility, so long as im not making a nest for racoons / mice etc.

4. technology. maybe an rfid door or a device that pings when it detects the dog after 11pm etc. my outside camera caught the dog on hourly patrols / lying out of wind on the deck most of the night.

5. some fantastic solution from sf (that I can steal and tell my wife it was my great idea)

what say you sf dog people ?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
i say go with 1.
not sure how you forget you have 2 living creatures outside when its below freezing.
if im freezing my ass off when i get home the first thing in my mind is to get my dog inside. and thats anything under 45 degrees.
above that she has her own 6x6 insulated house.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i say go with 1.
not sure how you forget you have 2 living creatures outside when its below freezing.
if im freezing my ass off when i get home the first thing in my mind is to get my dog inside. and thats anything under 45 degrees.
above that she has her own 6x6 insulated house.
country living + invisible fence = dogs have free reign out here. they go out for 5 min, 2 hours... basically as long as they need/want (anytime). sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, the older dog 100% barks when its time to come in. its when the younger dog gets out alone we run into this risk of forgetting him.

I am with you, #1 this is a problem I (/we) own... on that note I have a reminder up by the chain lock on the door

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
9,940 Posts
INFO - Does your bedroom have windows, and if so, do they face anywhere near the yard?

Could get a motion detecting light for near the door. If the dog is still outside, that light will come on. (Such is true for anything else...)

Just a thought.

·
Registered
336 Posts
An outdoor place for them to chill is what I'd do. Sometimes my dogs wouldn't come back or I'd let one out before bed and she'd run off. Sometimes she wouldn't come back so she'd get to come in in the morning.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Just set a fucking alarm for 9 o clock and stop getting black out drunk every night ya mook

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just set a fucking alarm for 9 o clock and stop getting black out drunk every night ya mook
ahhhh love it

so far the note by the deadbolt chain has worked

but yeah friday/sat night is more of as risk bc once the kids are in bed mom and dad can finally play haha.

What about a dog flap?
lower canada climate (wisconsin) = storm doors on every entry door. so unfortunately this is not an option. I do have a detached heated/insulated shop so that may be an option. but I would prob need an rfid locked gate bc of the animals out here.

An outdoor place for them to chill is what I'd do. Sometimes my dogs wouldn't come back or I'd let one out before bed and she'd run off. Sometimes she wouldn't come back so she'd get to come in in the morning.
I am thinking of this... but am hesitant because of a current rabbit issue/infestation atm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts