eBay Downpipe
Tanaba Exhaust
"Max Air" Intake Kit
HorsepowerFreaks FMIC Kit
Tial 50mm BOV
NGK 6097 Spark Plugs
Greddy BCC to 4.1 volts
Manual Boost Controller

The day after the install, he was driving around and the check engine light came on. He had it checked and it was catalytic converter related. Something like catalytic emmisions out of spec or something like that. He disconnected the battery for a few and reconnected and it is gone now. It never made it drive any different or anything, but sucks that the light came on. Is this a common thing and is there any fix for it? Would the Speed4Sale O2 simulator be of any use in this situation? Arent there 2 O2 sensors on the stock setup and are they both needed? Thanks!

PS - Also, has anyone been able to keep boost under 18-19ish after the above mods in sub 50 degree weather, because he cannot and I am almost positive it is hooked up correctly. I have read some threads saying that it there is no way to keep it under 18-19psi with BPU mods done, and am curious if this is correct or not?? thanks!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Sounds like his car must be obd2. Is it a 96 or newer? If so...there is a way to get rid of it but i dont remember how. I have a 94 so i dont have that problem. www.mkiv.com but im sure someone will chime in and tell you how anyway.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
house_of_senate said:
Sounds like his car must be obd2. Is it a 96 or newer? If so...there is a way to get rid of it but i dont remember how. I have a 94 so i dont have that problem. www.mkiv.com but im sure someone will chime in and tell you how anyway.
Yes, it is a 1997. Thanks for the input. Hopefully someone can direct me to the fix, it would be greatly appreciated. Take care!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the input everyone. I spoke with Speed4Sale, and it does look like I need a O2 Simulator to fix the problem. I'll give it a shot. Take care!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MtFujiSupra said:
Do what others do- leave the second O2 connected and Ty-Wrap it to something.
I do plan on leaving it physically installed into the DP, but if I continue to actually use the sensor, I will keep getting these error codes. The O2 simulator will fix that supposedly and just plugs into the harness under the drivers seat area to trick the ECU. We will see :)

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
If your car is a 1997 you will need an o2 fooler for the rear o2 sensor. Make sure you put it only on the rear oxygen sensor! That will make the check engine light go away completely.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cwtt said:
If your car is a 1997 you will need an o2 fooler for the rear o2 sensor. Make sure you put it only on the rear oxygen sensor! That will make the check engine light go away completely.
I ordered the O2 Simulator just now and will install it on the 2nd O2 Sensor as soon as it shows up. Should do the trick. Thanks again everyone and take care!

·
Registered
657 Posts
n disgii said:
PS - Also, has anyone been able to keep boost under 18-19ish after the above mods in sub 50 degree weather, because he cannot and I am almost positive it is hooked up correctly. I have read some threads saying that it there is no way to keep it under 18-19psi with BPU mods done, and am curious if this is correct or not?? thanks!
Confirm the MBC is connected properly and there is no split in any lines.
What is the setting on the MBC? fully closed, partly closed or fully open? If all else fails, remove the MBC put the VSV/actuator lines back to normal and see what happens.
99% of people on here can keep their boost under 18-19psi. I know I can. Not to mention the huge number of "spring mod" threads out there!
JDM twins is another story though...

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
smikRZ said:
Confirm the MBC is connected properly and there is no split in any lines.
What is the setting on the MBC? fully closed, partly closed or fully open? If all else fails, remove the MBC put the VSV/actuator lines back to normal and see what happens.
99% of people on here can keep their boost under 18-19psi. I know I can. Not to mention the huge number of "spring mod" threads out there!
JDM twins is another story though...
I am going to try just that. I am going to set all boost related hoses back to stock, eliminating the boost controller, and see how it reacts. I'll also be checking for leaks in the system in the meantime. Thanks for the info! Peace!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts