Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting in a JDM engine & I would like to do a compression check Before its installed. I have heard of this being done on the engine stand. Has anyone done this? If so how is it done?

Thanks
Steve

·
Moderator, Aight Peace
6,130 Posts
Supra_Class said:
I'm getting in a JDM engine & I would like to do a compression check Before its installed. I have heard of this being done on the engine stand. Has anyone done this? If so how is it done?

Thanks
Steve
Yes I would like to know if this is possible, I know leak down tests are possible, but what about compression tests? aight peace

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
wherever you bought the jdm engine from should have done a compression test before they sold it if they are reputable at all.....might want to just ask them. :dunno:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well They state that they did. However I would like to test it before we go through the complete install. I just think it would be a waste of time & a big PITA to find out there was a problem after it was droped in. I have seen a post on the forums about this being done but nothing comes up in the search now.

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
yeah i know how that is....i dropped in a jdm motor i just bought and started it right up...huge rod knock blew up in about a minute....needless to say i was somewhat pissed.....:wtf:

·
Boost is my drug!
1,319 Posts
yes it can be done on a stand..

just be sure theres clearances for the crank to turn over

use the compression tool and screw it in then use a 1 foot long breaker bar to turn the crank by hand but it takes alot of effort. but it will work.

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,149 Posts
this is how i did it.. on the stand or on the floor.. stick in the compression tester in cyl then remove the spart plug from each other cyl... Hold open the throttle body.. Now the imporant part to get it cranking hook the battery up to the power wire and a ground to the little switch down on the side of the starter... And presto the engine tires to come to life..

·
Moderator, Aight Peace
6,130 Posts
ZaZZn said:
this is how i did it.. on the stand or on the floor.. stick in the compression tester in cyl then remove the spart plug from each other cyl... Hold open the throttle body.. Now the imporant part to get it cranking hook the battery up to the power wire and a ground to the little switch down on the side of the starter... And presto the engine tires to come to life..
Does it shake violently man when you do this? so all that is needed is the manifolds in place, remove the spark plugs, hold the throttle open, and then tap the starter to crank, and it would read? aight thanks, peace

·
12,149 Posts
takes a few cranks like 5-6 to get a good reading it does shake a fair amount but remember how much LBS in is that engine... just have a friend old it still with a foot.

·
Blackzilla
1,579 Posts
ZaZZn said:
takes a few cranks like 5-6 to get a good reading it does shake a fair amount but remember how much LBS in is that engine... just have a friend old it still with a foot.
lol... sounds ghetto...

I like it!

·
12,149 Posts
Ghetto my ass.. I tested it right in the engine shop... Out of 4 I tested only 1 was good.. 2 shot oil in my face from the cly, 1 came back with 60 psi in a few cyl and the last one was right on par.. :D Took that home... And well... I'm doing 445 rwhp right now gonna be 500 hopefully in the next 3 weeks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts