Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok heres my story. i have recently accuired some money, i want to put all this money in my car, its a 93tt auto. i got 11k to spend, i can do all the labor myself. heres what i know and i have done a search to find more but didnt find anything specific to my needs. i will be taking this completely stock car to 700-750 hp on race gas and proper tuning. my turbo of choice BL t71 or the hks t04r. i will either get hks fuel kit with 720cc injectors and all the other trimings, or the BL fuel kit. I am gonna have BL upgrade my tranny and get a 4k stall. 3.5" dp and a hks exhaust, and a boost controller.

now to my question. what other components do i need to accomplish this goal of 700-750hp. such as electronics, i know i need some more things to get to this goal of mine more then what i stated above but the exact components i dont.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
you will need a vpc and a gcc(you can get a used set for under 900 buck) or (equivelent Fuel Tuner ) ,apexi safcII MSRP $439.00 or the HKS AFR Fuel Tuner MSRP $289.00

or Greddy E-Manage ECU Piggy-back Fuel Controller MSRP $379.00

or better yet a Powerhouse Racing MAP ECU that does all that mvp price $895.00

or the aem ecu that does so much more too.MSRP $2,123.28

NOTE: info is from MVP
For the installation of this ECU, there are other items that are required or highly recommended.

GM or AEM Map Sensor: Most stock MAP (boost) sensors do not go high enough for most aftermarket turbo applications. The GM 3-bar Map sensor is reliable to 28psi, the AEM 3.5-bar Map sensor is reliable to 35psi, and the AEM 5-bar Map sensor is reliable to 56psi. Most single turbo kits today dyno'd while producing at least 28psi, usually 30 or 32. So as to not push the absolute limits of your Map sensor, we generally recommend you purchase one of the AEM sensors instead of the GM. This item is required.
GM Intake Air Temp Sensor: This intake temperature sensor should be mounted before the throttle body. On the 93-98 Supra, simply run the two wires across to where your MAF used to be. Click here for detailed directions. This item is required.
Apex Boost Control Solenoid: If you want the AEM to control boost you will need this. MVP does not recommend you use the AEM to control boost for 2 reasons. First, the boost map is rather difficult and time consuming to change compared to an electronic boost controller. Second, do you really want to have to carry your laptop with you, boot up your laptop, login, start the AEM software, & finally get to your boost map every time you want to change boost? Do you really think that Viper in the lane next to you is going to wait on you while you do this?
FJO or Motec Wide-Band O2: This allows you to accurately read the Air / Fuel ratio 20 times per second or more. Without this piece, tuning your AEM will be impossible without renting dyno time. Wide-Band O2 dyno time cost $200-$250 per hour and it will take at least 2 hours. By the time you've spent over $500 on tuning just one time, you could have bought half of one of these personal Wide-Band O2 units for your own use anytime on any car. These units very easy to install. The output for a 1993-98 Supra "gray wire" simply goes into pin 47 of your AEM ECU. To program output voltages into the AEM, . All FJO & Motec units are available in our Fuel Section.
HKS Twin Power DLI: Because the AEM EMS converts your car to using wasted spark technology, it is virtually required to add a DLI ignition amplifier. We know of no one to date that has a properly running & tuned Supra with an AEM that has not installed the HKS DLI. This applies only to Supra Twin Turbos.

·
10,459 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info its appriciated. so basicly i can get all the stuff u listed in your first set of things or i can get one of the standalone units and that will end all my electronics needs for my goal tuning my fuel and A/F?

·
Registered
177 Posts
yeah you can program that with the ecu. im not to fond of the greddy e-manage, but i have heard good things about the aem ems, or if you got the money get the motec - its what the pros are running.;)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what would u guys recomend the aem is abit expensive and that would put me way over budget. the PHR ecu sounds cool.

·
10,459 Posts
NAPALM said:
what would u guys recomend the aem is abit expensive and that would put me way over budget. the PHR ecu sounds cool.
if you cant get the aem get the PHr unit well worth it. too add i belive they have a special running 100 bucks off .im not100% sure about that .

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Napalm - I think the PHR MAP ECU would suite your needs perfectly. I plan to go with it this spring since the AEM is too complicated for my tastes.

·
10,459 Posts
Greg Bielawski said:
That special ended in the middle of November :(
man that sucked :(

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
looks like the PHR unit it is. heres what i got so far tell me if im missing anything.

BL T71 turbo kit
Bl Fuel Kit
Bl Upgraded tranny with 4000k stall
greddy FMIC
Some 3.5" dp(suggestions?)
HKS ti exhaust
PHR ecu
Some BCC (suggestions?}
EGT,Fuel pressure,and Oil Temp guages (any other i should get?)
hks racing blow off valve(suggestions?)

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
NAPALM said:
BL T71 turbo kit
Bl Fuel Kit
greddy FMIC
HKS ti exhaust
PHR ecu
Some BCC (suggestions?}
- Boost controller
- Boost gauge

- BL makes 3.5"MP/DP
- Get the Greddy BCC
- You need some sort of boost controller, either electronic or manual
- You should get a boost gauge as well, either as part of an EBC or as a separate analog gauge.
- With that type of power, you could either have one HKS Racing Type 2 BOV or 2 regular sized BOV's.

I think that about covers it.

*EDIT* I just re-read your first post. In order to reach your HP goals, you will need cams, either 264 or 272. They are not needed to go single, but you likely won't be able to reach 700rwhp without them. Also, with that turbo, you should have your redline raised to take full advantage of it.

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
NAPALM said:
looks like the PHR unit it is. heres what i got so far tell me if im missing anything.

BL T71 turbo kit
Bl Fuel Kit
greddy FMIC
HKS ti exhaust
PHR ecu
Some BCC (suggestions?}
I'd reccomend a blitz ebc:), wideband o2, aem instead of the map ecu, there will be a bl 4" dp/mp as well as 4" exhaust *did i say that out loud*:)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AEM exceeds my budget, and i know of know one that that can tune it in my state thats competent. Kansas lmao

·
10,459 Posts
if your on a budget

look into a boost controller that has a built in guage for now, but i still suggest you get a guage later on .

good boost controller are the hks ezII(no guage on this unit) ,greddy profect b spec s ,blitz dsbc spec r ,hks evc V ,greddy eo1 .

note: they go from least expensive to most expensive.

i have used the hks units and the blits units and they are great units as for teh greddy some like it some dont (check out the shop and parts review area on this)

as for bov look into a tial unit , my self and a few others use it and like it ..(im selling a used on on the forsale area check it out )

its a better alt. to the hks unit and works just as good if not better.

bcc=greddy or hks fcd, most like the greddy one to add its cheaper in price.

racing fan i never saw a blitz bcc and links to this ?

·
10,459 Posts
NAPALM said:
AEM exceeds my budget, and i know of know one that that can tune it in my state thats competent. Kansas lmao
mani has one for sale rather cheap

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I recommend the Blitz SBC-ID as a boost controller. Controls boost great, has tons of features and has a big screen for the built-in boost gauge, which is just as readable if not more so than any analog gauge. (In fact, I sold my Greddy boost gauge since I was never using it, I only used the Blitz) The only downside is that it's pricey.

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
NAPALM said:
A good friend of mine in wichita can tune an aem for you:) hes done a few and the cars have performed wonderfully.

Ranger,
I meant ebc:) my bad

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
really can u does he work at a shop or just solo? if he works at a shop can you give me the name of it.

thanks. i would love to get a AEM just need to find a good deal on one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts