Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can someone make one and sell them to us all? I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting a nice aftermarket solution to the crummy plastic OEM pieces. Here are a few examples of what's available for other cars...

Anyone with a shop lift and some decent experience with composites like fg or cf could do it I would think. Make a mould and start selling to us :) I would ask that some attention is given to aerodynamics, water drainage, structure, etc. Sell with some aluminum brackets, let the buyer have a shop mount the brackets to frame, under tray to brackets. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
259 Posts

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?260041-SRD-Aluminium-Undertray

Link above re the ones John is talking about. Loads of members of the UK forum have these fitted.
Man, shipping from the UK would hurt a lot though, and a composite one could be made lighter and to look nicer (for those who may care...) Also, it would be easier to reproduce once the mould is made, right? Aftermarket companies make really nice ones for EVOs, S2Ks and BMW's that I found. It would be nice to have a similar option for the community (and not be price gouged by middle men like the Shine stuff had done to it...) I'd rather give 100% of the cash to the creator. I also think that aero for underneath (air channels or splitters) would be easier to address with a composite than with welding aluminum in terms of labour. A big flat piece of aluminum panel would also be susceptible to vibration and noise (which some of us really do care about), again giving the advantage to a properly made composite piece with aero channels. Someone please make one and sell it to me :D

SupraSSS >> If you ever find the time to make one, please take a picture and if it fits the above criteria (fits clean, thought-out aero built in, most ground clearance possible), I'd be extremely interested so long as shipping costs don't kill the whole thing. I'd be fine with just fiberglass, but a fiberglass with one layer of carbon or carbon-kevlar for the bottom would be preferable. Thanks!

edit: ... or using the corrugated composite boards, stronger, weigh less, more money though?...

·
Registered
290 Posts
this is an awesome idea... i hate those crummy plastic pieces.

imo composite would be alot better/nicer then a hunk of metal under there.

·
Proud MKIII Owner
2,408 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Anyone in the states sell these either in composite or aluminum? I am missing the OEM plastics & have been looking for a replacement.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
IIRC password JDM sells a complete carbon fiber underbody for the S2000. The cost is massive though. Not worth it whatsoever

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
IMO the OEM plastic ones are not "crummy plastic crap" like some of you are portraying. Until you hack them up or they deteriorate they are very well designed.

For various reasons including integrating it with airflow under my FMIC I went with aluminum: ...people have asked me about more pics and measurements but I have nothing more since it was just made as a "one off" to fit.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hey Nick, out of curiosity, what are the max length and width of your under tray? It's too cold out for me to get on the ground and measure, lol. If no options come up I may make one out of large carbon fiber sheet. Maybe 1/4" or 1/8" thick. There are nomex honeycomb core and foam core options out there that would work too and be super cool to use. Expensive, but for what I get, I don't mind paying.

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
Hey Nick, out of curiosity, what are the max length and width of your under tray? It's too cold out for me ...
Tay, likewise here it's too freezing out and my garage is not heated. When the temp improves a little I can measure overall size.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Cody Phillips makes these.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts