Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All MA70's in Japan were stamped as follows:
MA70-XXXXXXX
As all 7M supras in Japan were TURBO (there were no 7M-GE supras in Japan), there was no need to stamp MA71 on the firewall.

MA71 was coded because the supra came in both 7M-GE and 7M-GTE variants. Some statements made by other people in this thread have led me to believe that stamping on the firewall was done in Japan for the US models but also by their respective countries that they were sold such as Australia. I apologize for the false statement.

Here are comprehensive specs for the MA70/71. All years are the same unless otherwise updated in the later year specs. Some years may overlap:
1986.5 (never released in the US) - 1988.5
7MGTE
Combustion Chamber: Pentroof style
Engine Displacement: 2.954L
Bore x Stroke: 83.0mm x 91.0mm
Compression Ratio: 8.4:1
Max HP:
Max Torque:
Engine Size: 817mm(l) x 665mm(w) x 688mm(h)
Long Block Weight: 207kg

Transmission
AUTO
Transmission Code: A340E
Transmission type: Electronically Controlled Transmission
Gear ratio: 1st-2.805, 2nd-1.531, 3rd-1.000, O/D-0.705
MANUAL
Manual transmission was not produced in the first run of MA71's. They were available only for the GA70.

Suspension
FRONT
Spring rate: 5.3kg/mm
Swaybar diameter: 27mm
REAR
Spring rate: 2.6kg/mm
Swaybar diameter: 19mm

Brakes
Brake Booster size: 8" + 9" tandem
Master Cylinder inner diameter: 25.4mm
FRONT
Caliper Code: AD60
Cylinder diameter: 60mm
Brake pad surface area: 50cm^2
Disc Rotor type: ventilated
Rotor measurements: 277mm(d) x 22mm(w)
REAR
Caliper Code: AD38
Cylinder diameter: 38mm
Brake pad surface area: 36.6cm^2
Disc Rotor type: Ventilated
Rotor measurements: 291mm(d) x 18mm(w)

1987-1988.5
Clutch
Type: Oil pressure based diaphram type clutch
Clutch Cover size: 240mm
Clutch Disc dimensions(outer diameter x inner diameter x thickness): 240mm x 160mm x 3.5mm
Clutch Disc surface area: 251cm^2
Clutch Pedal stroke: 145mm

Transmission
MANUAL
Transmission Code: R154
Gear ratio: 1st-3.251, 2nd-1,955, 3rd-1.310, 4th-1.000, 5th-0.753

1988.5-1989.5
7MGTE
Max HP:
Max Torque:
Engine Size:845mm(l) x 665mm(w) x 690mm(h)
Long Block Weight: 208kg
Other changes: Increased piston durability via alumite patination of piston surface, engine was ready to use unleaded gasoline, higher torque lower in the powerband

Brakes
FRONT
Rotor measurement: 302mm(d) x 18mm(w)
Wiper: Rear wiper blade is perpendicular to defogger lines at rest.

1989.5-1990.5
Engine Mounts: Chaneged to liquid filled engine mounts

1990-1992
No information at my disposal.

Not quite everything, but alot of the things that make the supra move :) Someone please fill me in on the HP and Torque ratings.

Melloboy

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
There is a thread in the Technical forum where someone posted pics of his firewall that has MA71 stamped into it. (It actually does look more like a VIN, but it's in the firewall)

As for:
1986.5 (never released in the US)
There was supposedly 33000 of them sold in the US in 1986, and there are a ton of them here in Canada.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
*Post modified by moderator*

Personal attacks are not tolerated my friend. Keep them to yourself.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Don't take it the wrong way bro, but I think you are too much like me :) You have been around long enough to know what you are talking about (for the most part ;)) and then someone tries to contradict what you are saying and you are quick to respond or comment or snap back. Sometimes our emotions can get the best of us. I know I am VERY guilty of this.

And we all know that when you type something, it can be taken about 100 different ways. I have found that most times a dispute comes up that a moderator has to step in, it's usually just a miscommunication or someone taking something the wrong way.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that was a joke above, i thoght it was obvious. trey knows i was kidding. i was making fun of how everyone else treats him. BACK OFF with the quick to the trigger moderating, please.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
86.5 turbos weren't sold in the US
7MGE supras were never sold in japan either.

as far as i know, the MA70-XXXXXXX was stamped in Japan. I can't confirm the US ones, but I would think that they would be stamped over there as they use that number to track them sometimes in Japan.

melloboy

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
MelloBoy said:
86.5 turbos weren't sold in the US
7MGE supras were never sold in japan either.

as far as i know, the MA70-XXXXXXX was stamped in Japan. I can't confirm the US ones, but I would think that they would be stamped over there as they use that number to track them sometimes in Japan.

melloboy
Ahh, you meant 86.5 turbos. Sorry, my bad. I should have known better.

·
Back to Action!
210 Posts
On a slightly related note: a question.

Is there any marking on the engine block itself that would denote what year car it came from?

**(when you buy a jdm longblock it'd be nice to know what year it actually came from).

·
aka FredMk3
586 Posts
Brakes
Brake Booster size: 8" + 9" tandem
Master Cylinder inner diameter: 25.4mm
FRONT
Caliper Code: AD60
Cylinder diameter: 60mm
Brake pad surface area: 50cm^2
Disc Rotor type: ventilated
Rotor measurements: 277mm(d) x 22mm(w)
REAR
Caliper Code: AD38
Cylinder diameter: 38mm
Brake pad surface area: 36.6cm^2
Disc Rotor type: Ventilated
Rotor measurements: 291mm(d) x 18mm(w)
Rear brakes were larger than the front? thats strange! it's not the opposite. 88.5 was 302mm in front, looks more like it.

Didn't know they're was a change in the pistons composition on the +88.5.

Good informations thanks MelloBoy!;)

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
MelloBoy said:
First of all, to clear up any controversy, according to my sources in Japan which include YSR, A.S. Mori amongst other sources, there were no MA71 stamped chasis produced. All mk3 7M supras have an MA70 stamped on the firewall. This is know as a chasis number code and all MA70/71 have the following stamped on them from Japan:
MA70-XXXXXXX
MA71 is only the VIN number
I thought this was true as well, but our friends from down under have proved me wrong (see page two of this thread: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=148085 )

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well,
I noticed that as well, but the thickness of the rotors are greater in the front than the rear. This might account for something?

MelloBoy

·
aka FredMk3
586 Posts
MelloBoy said:
Well,
I noticed that as well, but the thickness of the rotors are greater in the front than the rear. This might account for something?

MelloBoy
Yeah I've noticed the thickness was right. I just find it strange for the diameter. Mine look deffinetly bigger in front than the rear, but maybe it's just for the car in japan. Mine was made in january of 88.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts