Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I knew the difference between a Turbo and a Compresor, I have always thougt both at the same time would be the best option.
having the compresor work to fill a BIG turbo that would normally take to many rpms to be fun to drive with any help.

Has anyone done it?

· Registered
98 Posts
My friend is currently thinking about the same.

He wants to install a supercharger together with a T78 or T88 (if it fits the engine bay).

He wants to use the supercharger to get the huge turbo spooling earlier.

Very interesting project, I hope he can realize it.

· Registered
96 Posts
well the thing is that of what I know, supposedly the mini "S" are both turbo and compressor charged. I forgot what they called the setup, but all i got to say is that it works. Now on the supra, well I guess that is somewhat of an unchartered territory for all of us. I seriously don't think anyone here in the forums has tried it. its not a bad idea to add a small supercharger to build up the power while the turbo starts to spool but the route of the pipes is gonna be extremely confusing. Put it like this, if you got a pipe that is comming from the exit end of the intercooler to your intake manifold, where would the intake pipe from the supercharger go? that is what you got to consider if you are getting the idea of doing it. It is possible to mate the pipes together starting at the exit end of the intercooler and have the the discharge of the supercharger start there but come to think about it, you are gonna need an actuator to block the vacumm that would be produced from that so it won't disrupt the spool on the turbo. After that, you now have to figure out how that actuator is gonna open when the turbo goes to full spool. its preety complicated and its sounds like its gonna be very time demanding due to the fact that there would be allot of trial and error to go through. My opinion, leave your car turbo, its too much of a mission to accomplish especially if you are on a bugget (if you are). If you want to spool faster, get a ball bearing, it helps.

· Not so boring anymore
7,936 Posts
you can always install a little 'superchager' it can fit into the palm of your hand.. can give up to 300hp! it will spool that turbo

· Registered
40 Posts
I've seen some Volvo-Penta Diesel motors that use a compressor and a turbo. Works very nicely completely removes turbo lag. They both run off the same intake. The compressor uses a clutch pulley that grabs at low RPM and disingages once the turbo spools up.

· Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes and the new vw engines are doing 200hp with 1.4 liter engines.

That was my point use the compresor (supercharger for you US guys) to remove the lag of a big turbo.

and no I was not planning to do it, but I think someone in Spain has pulled it off making 500BHP with what he calls phase 1, and a phase 2 that gives 900+, he does not visit the supraclub.es forums regularly and never has explained thoroughly but he runs a compresor and a turbo :eek:

· Registered
1,790 Posts
Yep, HKS already thought that one up about 15yrs ago. They had a kit for the MR2.

· Powderin my balls since07
2,702 Posts
i know old @$$ v-dubs did it back in tha day, but i do know that you would want tha supercharger to turn off when tha turbo is spooling...i dnt remember exactly why, but i remember reading that somewhere...u would want tha supercharger off tha line, but as soon as tha turbo kicks in tha supercharger pulley should have some type of clutch on it to disengage....

· Registered
3,818 Posts

· Registered
159 Posts
just so everyone knows the MINI S is only supercharged...

but Nissan has done this before. i don't belive it ever hit the market, but i seen a few factory skylines that were prototypes, from nissan that had the supercharger feeding the turbo.

and if you look for a old detriot deisal, they also use this madness.... and for a old deisal.... they were fast.

· Registered
1,077 Posts
the nissan march i believe its called. its over in japan. u can import them over. they r super and turbo charged... heres some info on it

"With a 1.0 litre four cylinder that’s sequentially supercharged and turbocharged – that’s how! The unique MA09ERT engine employs a positive displacement supercharger to provide strong bottom-end grunt, while a relatively large turbo steps in to provide up to 13 psi of boost through the top-end.

Power? How about 81kW and 130Nm - from a one-litre engine?!"

pretty cool :)

· Registered
180 Posts
rather than worry about twincharging, get a new garrett GT ball-bearing turbo. couple people i talk to on SM have very large turbos that make positive boost at something like 2000 IIRC.

· Registered
335 Posts
stratoayu said:
the nissan march i believe its called. its over in japan. u can import them over. they r super and turbo charged... heres some info on it

"With a 1.0 litre four cylinder that’s sequentially supercharged and turbocharged – that’s how! The unique MA09ERT engine employs a positive displacement supercharger to provide strong bottom-end grunt, while a relatively large turbo steps in to provide up to 13 psi of boost through the top-end.

Power? How about 81kW and 130Nm - from a one-litre engine?!"

pretty cool :)
That stuff is kinda neat, but I find it rather gimmicky. VW has a new engine that is twin-charged in the same sequential fashion, as well.

· Registered
3,965 Posts
there is a kit on the market to twin changer the min cooper S

twin charging is over complicated, twin turboing is easier nd gets much the same effect...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.