Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just wondering if performing a compression test on a 70k mile supra is hard on the engine? I was just told that the seller does not want to have one performed since it can be hard on the seals and can cause them to give way. Is that an issue to be worried about?

thanks

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
its a comon practice for engine diagnostic , so he is not well imformed or hiding something . Maybe he has it confused with a leakdown test ? non the less 100 psi of air from a compresor is 1/10 of the pressure in the the combustion chamber so that is a myth about blowing seals unless you have major blow by.Wich in that case the engine will perform poorly.

·
Found E85 NOT in NJ!
5,252 Posts
Dude is hiding something and is full of shit. Nothing can be damaged by performing a compression test besides maybe the starter if you crank it like 3000 times. You aren't even close to operating conditions for you to break anything and the oil pump is still going even when cranking. Even with a leakdown test, 100psi is nothing. If that engine "blows seals" at 100psi, it was a piece of junk to begin with.

I would go up to him and offer him $3.50 for that hunk of shit he is trying to sell.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Hey guys,

Just wondering if performing a compression test on a 70k mile supra is hard on the engine? I was just told that the seller does not want to have one performed since it can be hard on the seals and can cause them to give way. Is that an issue to be worried about?

thanks
sounds like a sure bet that if he has one done he is going to try to pass off damage on the test when there is already pre-existing damage

1 - 8 of 8 Posts