Supra Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· wastegate hose is pulled
4,779 Posts
"* Damage resulting from PRE IGNITION or DETONATION. This includes but is limited to melted or broken pistons, broken piston rings, damaged cylinder heads, leaking head gaskets, etc. For more information regarding pre ignition and detonation please contact our Customer Service Department at 1-800-421-3746."

I'd bet this is why your warranty claim will be denied. 60 psi cranking compression is not a good sign. If the leakdown shows it going into the crankcase, I'd say it is almost surely detonation damage.

· 1/2 Na-T Project
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
chevyeater-on-sf said:
"* Damage resulting from PRE IGNITION or DETONATION. This includes but is limited to melted or broken pistons, broken piston rings, damaged cylinder heads, leaking head gaskets, etc. For more information regarding pre ignition and detonation please contact our Customer Service Department at 1-800-421-3746."

I'd bet this is why your warranty claim will be denied. 60 psi cranking compression is not a good sign. If the leakdown shows it going into the crankcase, I'd say it is almost surely detonation damage.

Yeah, who knows if they are going to warranty it or not, if they did it would be a plus but I am not counting on it. I never ran lean, but I guess it only takes one time for detonation and this could happen. I was datalogging my wideband to my laptop and have looked over all the logs and not once did I ever go lean at wot. I hadn't even touched my safc high throttle settings, I did tune my low throttle settings to 14.7:1 up to around 4,000 rpms and left from 4,600-Redline at 0% correction. Who knows what happened, I just know I am going to have to tear apart the whole engine which I am not looking forward to, but it is a learning experience. I have never rebuilt an engine so this will be my first if ATK doesn't warranty the engine, hopefully everything goes well. Later.

· 1/2 Na-T Project
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Iceberg319 said:
i bought a motor from them also, they warrantied my pretty bad rod knock, it might not work but its worth a shot....iirc they paid for new motor and labor to install it, u jus need to put a deposit

Well that is good news, since a rodknock is usually caused by oil starvation and the specifically say they don't cover that in their warranty, so maybe they are a little lenient. Later.

· Registered
269 Posts
JT87NA I noticed that you said you tuned for 14.7:1 @ low throttle up to ~4000 rpm. Detonation is most likely to occur at peak cylinder pressure, which happends to be at the tq peak of a motor. Torque peak with your motor will more than likely be before 4000 rpm, so depending on your high/low throttle settings and how much fuel you were pulling, this may explain the detonation, if indeed that is the case. I Hope it's not the case though..best of luck.

· 1/2 Na-T Project
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
timmer said:
JT87NA I noticed that you said you tuned for 14.7:1 @ low throttle up to ~4000 rpm. Detonation is most likely to occur at peak cylinder pressure, which happends to be at the tq peak of a motor. Torque peak with your motor will more than likely be before 4000 rpm, so depending on your high/low throttle settings and how much fuel you were pulling, this may explain the detonation, if indeed that is the case. I Hope it's not the case though..best of luck.
My high/low throttle settings were 25/35 % throttle because I was seeing boost at around 35% or a bit after. I was stupid and didn't do a compression check before I installed the turbo, but I really think there was a problem before the installation of the turbo because I had seen smoke coming from the pcv system before. A few minutes ago ATK called to start my warranty claim and seemed very helpful. I am waiting for the leakdown tester so I can diagnose the problem and report back to ATK. From what I gather they will either send me a new cylinder head if it is a problem with the valves or if it is a bottom end problem I will have to remove the engine and send it to them for inspection and they will send me a new motor. Hopefully everything works out.

· 1/2 Na-T Project
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
timmer said:
Well those settings sound pretty good to me and sounds like ATK is going to treat you well. Keep us posted

Yeah, hopefully everything works out as planned. I have a question though, if for some reason there was a melted piston would I hear any noise from the engine? The car seems like it was running fine except for the blowby.

· 1/2 Na-T Project
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
sammydafish said:
BTW, ATK is a good company to deal with. I've put in dozens of thier engines over the years. Never in a performance scenario. My experiance with them has been simply repairs.

Yeah, I really like their customer service and would recommend them whether they warranty my engine or not. They are quick to respond whether it be a warranty claim or a question. I had very bad experiences with Tap Recycling in Cali, I ordered a rebuilt engine from them a while back and got rod knock after 5,000 miles. The oil never went low, and I broke it in nice and easy. They pretty much said your fucked, and didn't even want to listen to me, needless to say I never got my money back.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.