1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cyl 1 - 155
Cyl 2 - 155
Cyl 3 - 105
Cyl 4 - 105
Cyl 5 - 155
Cyl 6 - 155

Cyl 1 & 2 look wet with oil, but smell like coolant. Cyl's 3-6 are dry.

Isnt that just fukin great.

Half of me wants to fix the car, somehow locate another head and go at it again.

And the other half of me is pissed off @ the car.

I dont know what to do.

Just thought I'd vent here, since this is the Supra family

The good news is, with the new plugs she still boosts and pulls hard, ha.

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
Sorry to hear. Hope you got some miles out of it before this. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
myMUSICveins

are you on a built motor as well?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
that sucks big time

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
maybe it went because of the
62lbs
for the headgasket

any other ideas?
is it overheating or anything?

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
spoolint78 said:
62lbs
for the headgasket

any other ideas?
i just noticed that, why only 62, maybe he meant 72? but that could be why

·
500Rwhp+ Club Member
270 Posts
Before you plunge into the rebuild...

I have seen similar numbers on our cars that do the test with the throttle body closed
You must keep the throttle body open and all spark plugs removed when doing a compression test

·
desufnoC
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
62lbs
for the headgasket

any other ideas?
I agree, I'm pretty sure this was the problem. On the highway coming from Miami going to Orlando I blew a top radiator hose as well, so that one overheat didn’t help much either I suppose.

I just need to grow up and stop blaming the car.

Now that I’ve had time to cool off and think things over, I'm obviously going to fix the problem. I cant just throw away all the time, money, sweat, and blood down the drain.

I made the mistake of not writing the correct torque specs on the technicians forehead, so had I been on the ball, it wouldn’t have happened. I was just hoping for the best.
You can always sell me your car I love your car LONG time!
:D Well, I guess she's worth keeping, be a cold day in hell before I'd ever seriously sell her.
I have seen similar numbers on our cars that do the test with the throttle body closed
Thanks for the heads up, I did however have the throttle @ 100% and all the plugs out already :(

I plan on picking up a used head locally, and hopefully if things work out, its never been resurfaced. I then plan on going with a HKS stopper.

One question though, I'm pretty sure its ok to re-use my ARP bolts, but do I need that special lubricant this go around to get the correct torque spec reading, and if so, what can I use in place of the ARP lube that came with it?

Thanks for listening to my crying. Thankfully she's still a beast, Had I not done the test, I wouldn’t have guessed anything wrong with her :D

·
Supra Fan
4,115 Posts
myMUSICveins said:

One question though, I'm pretty sure its ok to re-use my ARP bolts, but do I need that special lubricant this go around to get the correct torque spec reading, and if so, what can I use in place of the ARP lube that came with it?

Arp has really good customer service. I guarantee you that if you call them and tell them your box was missing the lube, they will send it free!lol. Trust me ive done it. Using the lube and head studs arp recommends 84 ft/lb. and thats what i did.

·
desufnoC
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
njsupramk3t said:
Arp has really good customer service. I guarantee you that if you call them and tell them your box was missing the lube, they will send it free!lol. Trust me ive done it.
Well, maybe I'll go that route, but just in case, anyone know if there is a suitable substitute?
Using the lube and head studs arp recommends 84 ft/lb. and thats what i did.
Bolts or studs? I have bolts, so this go around, I was planning on 75-80 ft/lbs

·
Supra Fan
4,115 Posts
you can use regular motor oil, with which arp recommended something like 96 ft/lb using motor oil, and 84 ft/lb with lube for studs. Maybe someone can chime in with the specs on the bolts.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
myMUSICveins

i always looked at your sig and wondered if you really meant 62lbs or if it was a mistake lol.

So what are you gonna do now, deck the block and head, new gasket and studs?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts