Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would happen if the compression test come out not right?

What..IS..right?

Could it lower boost levels?

Thanks

Cory

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
compression

I am told (since I just went through buying a mkiv) that you have compression numbers to tell you how well your rings, head gasket and valves are sealing the combustion chamber. If they are low then you won't make as much power. It is a good way (depending on how the numbers are) to find if the rings are worn, the valves aren't seating or if the headgasket has a leak. I am told if, say, two adjacent cylinders are experiencing lower compression, there may be a leak in the gasket. I think you check the rings for leaking first by dropping a bit of oil down the spark plug hole and re-running the test to see if that stops the ring blowby temporarily. Then you do something to check for bubbles coming out of the coolant cap to find a leak in the headgasket. A mechanic can do all that jazz. I am sure there is a tech article for the DIY'er too. You can't get a valid comp test from a car that has been sitting for a while, either, or so I am told.

Peace

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much does it cost to get the valve seals or stems replaced?

I am pretty sure thats the reason I havent been getting the boost Ive been wanting.:( This SUCKS!!! :mad: :mad: :hammer: :madf: :uzi:

Please help:( :(

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Redturbo said:
How much does it cost to get the valve seals or stems replaced?

I am pretty sure thats the reason I havent been getting the boost Ive been wanting.:( This SUCKS!!! :mad: :mad: :hammer: :madf: :uzi:

Please help:( :(
That won't effect boost levels. Unless your compression is absolutely horrible, you should be able to see as much boost as other BPUs.

Also many compression gagues aren't accurate. Its most important that the reading be consistant from cylinder to cylinder.

·
A Mile High
114 Posts
When Doing a Compression test you will NEVER be consistant from cylinder to cylinder. Keep in mind your #5 and #6 cylinders burn hotter then the other 4. This is another reason to remove the EGR.
You'll notice a slight drop in compression on those two cylinders.
Since they all will NOT be consistant, its important they are all within 10lbs of eachother. If your #1 shows 147.. you dont want to fall below 137 or go above 157 on any other cylinder. I used #1 only as an example, it doenst matter what cylinder shows what....as long as they arent way diffrent then eachother.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts