Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Project:: Reaper
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright i just recently picked up a T'netics 60-1 with a custom cast exhaust housing to bolt onto the stock mani.

After the install my BOV doesn't work (vac lines and everything are fine believe me) but the turbo has a 2.5 in. outlet and im on stock IC pipes (yes i know i need to upgrade them but i can only do a little at a time) right now i have the porsche bosch BOV and then i tried the higher grade bosch porsche BOV, and neither one of them work......

i can be in 5 in. vac. and the bitch will surge like a mo fugga. so out of 2 BOV's both will surge.

so Tissimo (on SF) and i narrowed it down to either the BOV isn't big enough for the air flow/volume, or the IC pipes are just restrictive and causing it to surge.

What are your thoughts on this guys????

thanks for the help in advance.

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
get a new BOV.. HKS, GReddy, even Turbo XS

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Have you tested the vac line going to the BOV- I mean have you boosted lightly, and felt if there's suction at the line? I ask because I can't imagine that two BOV's would fail back-to-back, and even if your IC pipes were too small, you'd still get an open BOV during throttle-off. I really dunno, man.

·
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i checked it at idle and its got a DAMN good suction on it. i seriously don't know whats wrong. we pulled off the bottom hose coming off the stock Accordian hose and revved it up and vented it to atmoshpere and it blows off but still surges. the only thing i can think of is that the BOV is to small.

BTW how in the hell would i check the vaccum line while boosting? i would have to drive it to know that.

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
I think all turbo cars surge a little bit. Surging at a few pounds isn't a big deal. Its when you surge at a bar is when things will go wrong. If its venting air at boost over 3 psi, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well it does then also. it surges no matter what. i guess i'm just going to have to baby the car for 5 months until i can afford a FMIC, piping and a new bov.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I was having the same problem with my car. I got an upgraded ct to a 62-1 and the bov would make the turbo surge like crazy but with the stock turbo it would work just fine. I then went with a bigger t70 turbo with new manifold and exhaust and the turbo still surged with the bov so i went and bought a hks ssqv put it on and the same thing happend. So from there i decided that the vac wasnt good enough even though i could feel suction when i unhooked it. I ended up using the big vac source from the front of the intake manifold and teed it off going to the bov and my afpr. Ever since i did that the hks is loud as hell and have not had a problem with surging since. So im guessing that you need to have a better vac source for your bov to function properly. Hopefully this will help you but im in a hurry so it might have not made that much sense.

·
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no it makes perfect sense. we tried running a line off of the nipple on the back of the intake Mani (facing the firewall) and it still did it. so im not sure what to do now.

what big vac source are you talking about on the front of the intake mani.??? are you 1J or 7M?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
7m. Im bought to go to lunch right now so i can take a pic if you would like? I was using the vac source from the firewall side of the intake manifold and it just wasnt enough.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Well if your BOV was bad, the compressor shouldn't be surging should it? Wouldn't air just flow more freely and hence no compressor surge?

Hmmm... perhaps it's normal?

·
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it better not be normal other wise i aint dealing with it. My buddy has a 1J and a t67 turbo and his only surges a little on the vac side cause of the HKS SSQV THAT i can understand and at high boost his is fine. mine is RETARDED loud with windows up and radio on and my exhaust droning i can hear it surge at anything above 10 inches of vacuum thru to 9 psi. the CT didn't do it so why would this one if both are in vac.??? makes no sense. if it surges on this turbo then it should surge when its BONE stock.

yea a pic would be AWESOME

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Aight bro i got some pics up. I know what your saying bout how it doesnt make any sense that the stock turbo doesnt surge like an upgraded on does. Anyways try this way i have it and if it doesnt work then its gotta be a bad bov.
Vac source

Bov location

My turbo thought i would throw that in the mix.

·
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
ok thats gonna be a LONG hose for me LOL since mine's still in stock location but i'll try it. how in the hell did ou get a T soo big for the big vac line but two smaller ends for the vac lines to the AFPR and the BOV????

BTW where does that big vac line go to stock?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Steady Boostin' said:
ok thats gonna be a LONG hose for me LOL since mine's still in stock location but i'll try it. how in the hell did ou get a T soo big for the big vac line but two smaller ends for the vac lines to the AFPR and the BOV????

BTW where does that big vac line go to stock?
I just went to Ace hardware and they had the T there. I think that line may have to do with the stock bov but i dont know cause mine has always been blocked off ever since i got the car.

·
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
interesting i'm gonna go out and look at it now, but wont be able to go fix it til tomorrow since ace is already closed here.

Well home depot had what i needed and it didn't work. i guess its the IC pipes just too small and can't flow the air it needs to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts