Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a both installed and now the car wont remote start and the factory alarm will go off.. any clues?????

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
you have to bypass your factory alarm
same thing happened to mine when installed incorrectly
Vic

Jimnen said:
I have a both installed and now the car wont remote start and the factory alarm will go off.. any clues?????

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I will have to bring the car back tomorrow ...I thought they "Curry audio" knew what they were doing..but I guess they had no clue... The paging feature it's not working either....

G

·
Just don't even get me started on "professional installers" -- I've NEVER had anything installed by someone else in my car that I didn't have to go back in and fix something that wasn't working right.

I put in a compustar system myself. There are numerous outputs on it so that you can interface with factory alarm systems in damn near anything. If the bozos that installed yours didn't do it right, then it's not going to work.

At a guess, I'd say that the factory alarm going off is an indication that they do not properly disarm the alarm system when remote starting. For some vehicles, what they do is to unlock the doors to get the car started, then relock them. As a last resort, that may be what's needed. (Compustar alarm will still go off if the doors are opened.) But I don't think that it should come to that.

There is a "second start" output from the alarm. I'm using it to bypass the clutch safety switch relay, so that the clutch switch is still active for normal starts. You can use this to make the factory alarm think that the doors were unlocked using the key, thus disarming the system for a remote start. Doing this will probably leave the system disarmed if you leave the car in "keep warm" mode overnight, though, so the unlock/relock method might actually work better for you, if you've only got the autostart function and not the autostart/alarm.

It *can* be done. There's a way. Make 'em do it right.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They got it to work by making the car unlock and then lock again like you said. I have to go back again Friday because the sensor it's not working right..They said they ordered a new sensor because it came defective from the factory...I should know by Friday what's going on..hopefully everything will be functioning right by the end of the day

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
Compustar system here! :) love mine.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Quick question, I've searched the old posts but didn't see too much info. What would you guys say is the average price for install only on this alarm? The only authorized installer in my state wants a full day and $400 for install alone. Is this price reasonable? Thanks

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
what, i paid $500 including install also, for the compustar SS alarm. it needs to be re-worked on after my battery died, it doesn't lock my doors anymore.

Brett

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the fm and I am starting to get dissapointed with the sytem and the place that installed it. I still have to go back once more "3rd time", this time to get the paging sensor replaced since both sensors apparently came defective from the factory and they only order one the first time around..

·
Registered
868 Posts
If you have an mk4 it is simple!
Find the wire that is used to unlock the doors, actually there are 2 of them. One unlocks the switch, the other comes from the factory anti- theft system for the same thing. You will need to use the wire that goes to the anti-theft system, this wire will disarm the anti-theft system with one pulse of ground, it will unlock with the second pulse from ground. This wire will be connected to your NO unlock wire and also the - out when remote starting wires from the alarm. So when you remote start it will pulse one time to disable you factory anti-theft system and when you unlock it will double pulse to unlock.
Woops, left out that point. You will need to program the alarm to double pulse for unlock.
I hope that helps, I can't believe that a professional shop doesn't know this.
If you have any other questions PM me and I will try to help.

G

·
Yeah. I have the FM as well, and the range isn't as good as I would have hoped for.

Well, actually, the range is fine, but it's not too good in concrete buildings, or dealing with parkade type structures, let alone underground parking.

I don't know about my paging sensor -- I never connected it.

I also did the installation work myself, so I can't really complain there. :D

In general, though, as far as alarm features go, I liked my old system better.

One thing that really irritates me is that there's no way to get stuff out of the car once it's parked without having to restart the car, put in the key, release the e-brake, press the foot brake, reset the e-brake, and take the key out... It's cumbersome. I realise that it's there so that some idiot won't put the car in gear so that it starts moving unattended on a remote start, but it's irritating, nonetheless. You should be able to remote start the car, disarm and open the doors to get your stuff out, then re-arm the car, and remote shut-down. Because the car was running when it was re-armed, it ought to be able to stay in auto-start mode. Well, anyway, that's my biggest complaint... That and the parkade thing. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I paid $750 Canadian for my Compustar installed. That included one of those scanner lights and a 2 stage proximity sensor and it works great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts