Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Moderator, Live life to the fulllest
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i came home from college on wed from NC and when i got home there was major condinsation or water inside my head light. It hasnt gone away in two days and the vent in the back is fine. there are no cracks in teh lens so what is up? How can i take the lens off to clean it?? Thanks

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts

·
SpooooL
591 Posts
air compressor

I had this problem once. I took off the headlight, took off the lights, and used an air compressor on the inside until the water was gone. I did this about 4 months ago and they are still perfect.

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
Also make sure the plastic connectors that you twist in place to hold the bulbs into the headlight housing are tight, and that the rubber o-ring makes a good seal. AMHIK :)

·
Moderator, Live life to the fulllest
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok guys i want to take out my head light to clean it from all the condenstaion. I looked at MKIV.com and it doesnt say how the head lights come out of the car. I want to take out the assembly in order to take off the lens. How does the assembly come out? and then how do i take the lens off? Thanks so much!

·
Registered
124 Posts
To take the actual assemblies out is not that hard. Find the screws on the back side and ttop and take them out. Once the screws are out you can pull the assembly forward and it will come out. Remember to disconnect the sockets/bulbs from the assembly too.

Once the assembly is out you'll want to "cook" them in the oven to the temperature indicated on the tech article. I let it sit in the oven for about 15 minutes and then took a big flat blade screwdriver and started prying around the edges to loosen the glue and joint. After you make one pass of prying put it back in the oven and let it cook some more. Then pull it out, pry, and put it back in the oven. Do this a few times and you'll see it coming apart. Eventially the clear piece will separate from the back and it will come apart.

When you put it back together put both pieces in the oven to soften the glue. Then scrape away the old glue or reshapen it to make the two pieces fit easier. Get some silicone glue/sealant to help glue the pieces back together. Take your time and be patient.

Hope that helps..

bk
94tt - Chicago

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
OK three screws hold the headlights in. You will just have to look for them. My suggestion is on the drivers side take the battery out and it becomes much easier than doing contortions with a wrench. On the passenger side, take off the air cleaner box and intake up to the MAF. That makes that side easier too. My other suggestion is go buy a buffer. I did by hand the first time and it was a bitch. A polisher will do in two minutes what took me a half an hour. I cooked my lights for 30 minutes and they separated like butter. Just watch your temps. You will like the look when you are through. Good luck.
Barry H.

·
MKIV intervention needed
2,969 Posts
just a note to this old thread.
you can also remove the light pod from the car
remove the highbeam bulb
use a coat hanger and some lint free cloth to soak up the water
very carefully and this will save you the pita of baking your lights

1 - 9 of 9 Posts