Supra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to me that the more I read about dual voice coils, the more I am confused. I am about to buy a pair of subwoofers and an amplifier, and I want to be sure that I buy a system that matches.

First of all, what are the wiring options for DVC? I know that 4 ohm DVC (which I plan to buy) can be wired so the amp "sees" 2, 4, or 8 ohms. But, what exactly is that wiring? And what is the advantage of running higher or lower? How much trouble is it to find 2 ohm stable amps?

I am buying the amp to match the drivers, which will probably be 4 ohm DVC. If I have a pair of subs, I need two channels, right? Or does it depend on how I wire them?

My main concern is: What are my configuration (sub/amp/wiring) options if I have a pair of 4-ohm DVC subs? I want to be sure the sub and amp match.

The front speakers (currently stock) will run off the head unit, but I may buy a separate amp once I install the speakers I recently bought. I want to keep the amps separate in case I were to upgrade one part.

Sorry this is so long, but I was so confused. I'd appreciate the reply, and I can also be contacted at [email protected] . Thanks!!

·
4,417 Posts
DVC's allow flexibility. Lets say you have a single sub... that is a DVC (4 Ohm per coil). You can wire them in series for an 8 Ohm load. You can wire them in parallel for a 2 Ohm load. Why do you want either a 2 or 8 ohm load? Well that depends on your amp.

Most standard class AB amps are stable into 2 ohms or greater. Most people want to bridge a 2-channel amp to a single sub. BUT... when you bridge an amp (most that is) the amp actually sees 1/2 the impedance and usually doubles the power.

For example... bridge a 2 channel 2x50W (at 4 Ohms) amp onto a 4 Ohm sub and the amp thinks it's really a 2 Ohm sub. Typically power doubles every time you cut the impedance in half. So instead of getting 100W you actually get 200W to the sub. Any lower impedances and the amp will probably shut down from overheating.. or you may pop a fuse.

Now.. if you are looking for big SPL and are considering a class-D or other "competiton" amp which are really designed for ultra low impedences... then by wiring your voice coils in parallel and dropping the impedance you get big power numbers.

Hope that made sense...

Feel free to ask more.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts