Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
it's a rod knock life
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that the most widely used aftermarket con-rod are the Crowers. Proven up to 730+rwhp so far in the 7m.

While having this amount of hp is not my goal, I would really like to incorporate a set of forged rods and clevlite77's into my build-up for insurance reasons. I highly believe this area (not including oil starvation) is one of the reasons we're prone to knock at high hp levels.
I'am also planning on adding a sp63 or sp67 to the mix by spring.
I will drag this motor.
Question is, has anyone use a set a Pauter con-rods into their build up? I'am simply loving the way they are designed and I like the idea of being different if not in the build up path the choice of parts.
Might anyone else be considering forged rods. Any ideas as to pro's or con's with using various beam types, etc.? .
Thanks
Pat

G

·
no, i have no experience in forged con-rods.

on another note i have two projects i'm looking into building up. a '91 Supra turbo 7m powered, and a '77 280Z with a stout SBC350. i own both cars.

set of Crower for the SBC - $498.95 for 8. that's $62.36/ea.
set of Crower for the 7M - $979.00 for 6. that's $163.17/ea.

i hate that shit. :anger: i want to email Crower and ask them why is it like that. just because they only sell one set of 7m rods per decade doesn't mean they can hike up the price to the sky. it's like that with all the parts. looks like i'll be doing the Z car first.

G

·
Uhhh, basic market laws cause the prices to be like that - You've got an engine that's used in orders of magnitude more cars, therefor the cost of producing the rods is spread out on a vastly greater scale. As well, you've got tonnes of competition helping to streamline the production.

Sorry, but there is no way you're going to see small-scale, one-off 7M performance products compete on price point with SBC parts.

·
Asshole MKIV owner.
1,011 Posts
I have Pauter rods in my 7m-gte and well... they do there job, not much more you can say about it. The beam design is different, and the visual quality of the fit and finish of the rods is amazing. I feel that the rods will take whatever power level the 7m can dish out. In my opinion, lots of other shit will break before these rods do.

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
Stock rods have been lab tested to 800+ hp. This was done by a shop up in Toronto.

But the real question is when will they stretch. At what RPM point will they fail? I serioulsy doubt anyone on here has broken a rod due to power.

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
drjonez said:
word. power doesn't break a rod (to a point), excessive piston speed does....

and a reminder- the stock rods in the 7M are forged....
Yumm.. excessive piston speed. I want to find that.

I plan on revving to 7500 with this new motor buildup. :)

·
greasemonkey
3,134 Posts
dont get me wrong, stock 7mgte rods are strong, but they are not forged. thats why they have casting flash on them.
william

·
Registered
948 Posts
stock rods will take 600+ rwhp? planning on building up a 7mgte for my 2300 lb 76 celica

G

·
well i can speak for some on this one... i just recently purchased a set of crower rods for my 7m... the thing that sucks the most is the price... i paid almost 1k for these... the main reason why i bought them is for added insurance and more revs... i understand that with the stock rod leingth that the 7m wont be able to rev much higher, but with my full build up and proper tunning it will be able to handle the abuse much longer...

je's 20 over...
crower rods...
full ferra valvetrain... titanium dual springs and 1 mm oversized valves....
full port&polish...

pretty much the whole 9 yards on this one... ill update you guys after its all done... but for now all i can do is look at my nice pretty expensive rods...

·
it's a rod knock life
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's what me think too. They should able to take the abuse alot longer. My engine spins quite easily and is still pulling very hard to a bit over 7k.
I think that under high rpm and power levels the big ends distort. In turn this might be a factor in premature bearing wear. (Knowing that the bearings should never be in contact with the crank during normal operation. Except on cold start up when the oil has drained back to the pan.)
The car will be down until spring, so I have abit of time to get everything together. Well, everything but the sp67.
I'll just use the rebuilt SS Stage V with the true 60-1 front housing to break it in and shake it down.

Gotta get me some pretty forgies that nobody can see.
The pricing is wild. You have to pay to play. But I'd bet that if the pricing was lower, more of us would use them, just because.

·
Registered
948 Posts
yep my baby is getting a 7mgte. classic-celica.com currently has 2 others doing the swap, and someone who already put the 7mgte in an old corona wagon

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
The stock rods are not forged, but they will hold a good deal of power. Around 750rwhp has been realized on them without any apparent negative effects.

If you just want to do that once or twice on a dyno, and run considerably less power on the street, stock shot peened rods are fine. Forged rods are generally not used in consideration of peak power production, but in terms of reliability insurance. Same deal with the various 2jz people who have made 900+ hp on the stock bottom end. Sure, it'll do it, but it won't do it for long.

Anyway, the Crowers are quite good. I used them in one of my 7m's with great results.

Using Cunningham Titanium in my next project though. :yum:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts