Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Once I get the AEM, the boost solenoid, 5 bar map sensor where do I start with everything as far as getting everything dialed in from start to finish.

I have looked on the AEM webpage, but I have not found a thread about this...just bits and peices and not sure if I should put bits and peices together since some are from different setups than others.

I am trying to figure out what I am going to get myself into jumping into a standalone like this. I know that I will take all the time to do the setup...I am definately in no hurry as some of you on here would probably know.;)

Can some of you AEM guru's point me in the right direction on this? How did you guys start your AEM project?

Thanks everyone for reading. Appreciate it very much.

Take Care

·
GOT BOOST?
551 Posts
First get on the AEM forums and you can find all the info you will need.
Best thing you can do is read the manual over and over untill you understand how the system works and what adjustments do what. That would help you with the setup later. Wiaring and base maps can be found on the AEM forums...

I have a 3" binder that is full with all the printouts and manuals and referencess that AEM has published and also some of the more informative threads on the forums. It helps a lot.

Although my car is down and I havent used the 1.03 Version, I have heard that it is very informative and much easyer to setup. I would play with the computer untill you start understanding where thigs are and what tehy control. Then start tuning the idle that is harder than tuning for power I think. It is much safer too.... =) once you got that down start runing part trotle tuning and so on...

There are some great treads for beginers that would help you a lot...

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2JZ_MA70 said:
First get on the AEM forums and you can find all the info you will need.
Best thing you can do is read the manual over and over untill you understand how the system works and what adjustments do what. That would help you with the setup later. Wiaring and base maps can be found on the AEM forums...

I have a 3" binder that is full with all the printouts and manuals and referencess that AEM has published and also some of the more informative threads on the forums. It helps a lot.

Although my car is down and I havent used the 1.03 Version, I have heard that it is very informative and much easyer to setup. I would play with the computer untill you start understanding where thigs are and what tehy control. Then start tuning the idle that is harder than tuning for power I think. It is much safer too.... =) once you got that down start runing part trotle tuning and so on...

Thanks for the advice. I am just going to STUDY the AEM forums really good for now.lol

Later

·
Registered
855 Posts
For starters, make sure all your sensors or wired in correctly. There's a good FAQ for beginners on Horsepowerfreaks website. Then start with either the base calibration map for the supra supplied by AEM, or grab a map from someone else. Make sure you're using v1.03, no need to start from an older version of the software. Then go through the map and make sure all the sensors are set up correctly (MAP, IAT, O2, etc) . IMO, a 5 bar MAP sensor is too big, I'd go with the Kavlico 3.5 Bar, that would be perfect up til 35psi boost. Setting up idle in v1.03 is not hard at all. Once your car has a stable idle and starts well, then I'd move onto to tuning sub boost levels for daily driveability. After the car drives well, then start concentrating on WOT. Tuning slow and conservatively is the safe way to do it. Make sure the knock sensors are set up and you know how to datalog the info. Best recommendation is to read, read read. There's a lot of good info and help on the AEM board.

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like I have to have the following:

*Temperature Sensor
*HKS DLI (what are my options in this area...what is the best option?)
*3.5 bar map sensor
*Wideband O2 (Will the wideband that I already have work ok?)
*Boost Solenoid
*Iridium Spark Plugs
*of course the AEM unit :)

How is everyones driveability? ANY problems at all with those cars that are tuned properly? Is this unit going to be consistent as far as driveability is concerned? Once it is set...thats it? No idle problems, part throttle issues, etc?

Thanks everyone.

·
-Getting High on KAI-
272 Posts
Like Hau says: get the 3,5 bar mapsensor!!! the 5 one is way to ruf in the mappings!!!
Fjo, DLI, 3,5bar ms, and you should be on your way!!!

·
Registered
855 Posts
TT_6SPD_95 said:
Looks like I have to have the following:

*Temperature Sensor
*HKS DLI (what are my options in this area...what is the best option?)
*3.5 bar map sensor
*Wideband O2 (Will the wideband that I already have work ok?)
*Boost Solenoid
*Iridium Spark Plugs
*of course the AEM unit :)

How is everyones driveability? ANY problems at all with those cars that are tuned properly? Is this unit going to be consistent as far as driveability is concerned? Once it is set...thats it? No idle problems, part throttle issues, etc?

Thanks everyone.
1. GM IAT temp sensor is fine
2. Options are HKS DLI, AEM CDI2, MSD, etc,..FWIW, I run the HKS DLI and have had no problems. I'm sure the other boxes will work just as well, you'll have to talk to others running those boxes to get their opinion.
3. Kavlico 3.5 Bar MAP sensor
4. Any wideband will work as long as it has a 0-5V output
5. Apexi boost solenoid. IMO, it's better than the GM boost solenoid because with no power or 0 duty = min boost. Any boost solenoid should work, preferably use a normally closed one.
6. I run cheap NGK 6097 without a problem. I get these for ~$1.50 each at the local Advance Auto. I've been on my current set for over 4000 miles too.

As far driveability, if I didn't tell you, you wouldn't know I had an AEM running my car. Smooth as stock. Daily driveability was my main focus when tuning. WOT tuning is easy. But driveability is something you'll probably have to tweak with over time because you can't do it all in one shot (unlike WOT dyno tuning).

·
Registered
807 Posts
Wow, and I would have thought it was the other way around. Squeezing 1000hp out of a 3 liter is easier than making the car idle... wanna trade positions? :D

Justin

2JZ_MA70 said:
. Then start tuning the idle that is harder than tuning for power I think. It is much safer too.... =) once you got that down start runing part trotle tuning and so on...

·
Registered
208 Posts
justinn5 said:
Wow, and I would have thought it was the other way around. Squeezing 1000hp out of a 3 liter is easier than making the car idle... wanna trade positions? :D

Justin

Show off!:D

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone!!! Sounds like daily driving is the hardest to get right.

Exactly how long did it take you guys that have "smooth as silk daily driven Supra" to get it that way from start to finish? How many hours of tuning? Just trying to get a little better idea of what I am in for.
Also, are there any functions that you don't know what do? It is overwhelming to me right now seeing how many things there are to tweak on ONLY one damn screen!!!:eek:

Again, thanks for the replies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts