Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still waiting to get my confirmation to join the lexus forums, so I thought that I would post this here in the meantime.

To make a long story short, I sold my 95 Supra TT about 6 months ago because of the situation I was in, and sadly I'm not in the position on financing for another one. I commute to work 80 miles a day and will hopefully start a family soon, so two-seat one purpose cars don't fit our lifestyle. I've had a billion ideas for a go-fast car, but they all have their drawbacks.

Today I was thinking about getting a high mileage SC300 and doing this swap. I would just like to get a ballpark dollar amount so I can determine if it's gonna be a reality or not. I'm gonna have to pay someone to do the swap, but as far as I can tell, the car goes for around 7-8k with 2jz-gte longblocks and trannys go for about $3k.

Can anyone who has done this swap please off some solid advice. I'm really in the dumps about what to do, I need a versatile car but I need some boost!

·
Registered
374 Posts
SC interior isn't much bigger than a Supra. If you need the room for a family why not use a GS? GS + GTE is about the baddest daily driver you can have in my book.

·
WilKillya County Sheriff
2,201 Posts
The Lexus has more room..

If you can get ahold of one of the JDM swaps on Ebay for around $3k expect to put around $1k into it to make it work + labor. If you're going to use the TT Auto you will need a custom driveshaft. The wiring is supposedly a pain when swapping the gte into that car.. but using the US Spec harness will make things easier [no extending wires]. Depending on how much your labor cost, expect around $7500 for the swap.. then it's time for BPU! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man, that's about $3500 more than I anticipated. I was figuring 1-1.5k for misc stuff and labor. The SC300 seems pretty affordable, I just don't have 5-7k laying around to dump into it.

As always, keep the suggestions coming, they are very appreciated!

·
Hayai Kuruma!
1,357 Posts
just curious, are u doin the swap urself and if not how much r they chargin u at the shop ur gettin it installed. I own a supra and a soarer, just wondering how much ur plannin on spendin since i also want to do the swap on my soarer. thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, i'm basically trying to get a gameplan and a ballpark figure myself. I've considered other cars and options, but this one "seems" to be pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well, here's a rough list for a basic swap.

Big Parts:
SC300: $7,700
JDM 2JZ-GTE: $2,400
RPS Street Clutch: ~$400
Wiring Harness: $750

Toyota MKIV Stock parts:
Intercooler: $200
Injectors & Rails: $200
Ignitor: $200
Coil Packs: $250
MAF: $60
Radiator, fan, shroud: $200
Fuel Pressure Regulator: $40

Maint. Items:

FMS: $7.65
RMS: $24.81 (not sure on this one)
Drive Belt: ~$50.00
Timing Belt: $22.23
Plugs: $40.00
TRD T-Stat: $70.11

Tools:

Phil's Book (optional): $195
Toyota Repair & Elec. Manuals: $250
Lexus Repair & Elec Manuals: $250
Engine Lift & Stand: $300

·
Hayai Kuruma!
1,357 Posts
hey thanks alot supracoup,
i am real serious of gettin one too!!!
thanks for the breakdown :)

·
127 Posts
Yeah, there is enough info to be had by searching on CL. I am working on turbosc.com right now to switch it from my personal site, to make a turbo SC registry, with a forum for swap advice and all that other crap. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
1 question for you - why the swap? What kind of power are you looking for? A lot of people go NA-T. Dave H. makes a nice afforable kit. I have a boostlogic kit on my 97 sc300 2jz-ge and love it. If you go with one of these kits you could probley do all the work yourself and save a bundle.

Just an option you might want to think about.

·
127 Posts
1badlex said:
1 question for you - why the swap? What kind of power are you looking for? A lot of people go NA-T. Dave H. makes a nice afforable kit. I have a boostlogic kit on my 97 sc300 2jz-ge and love it. If you go with one of these kits you could probley do all the work yourself and save a bundle.

Just an option you might want to think about.
It's easier to change the spark plugs on the GTE ;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Brown Duckz said:
On a NA car the throttal body sits over spark plugs 3 & 4. You need to remove it to change these 2 plugs but on a GE motor the top is open. Thats all. :bigthumb:

·
127 Posts
3 hours you could be driving your car!!!!!!!

Like I said, I am working on a help forum on my turbosc.com website... it should be up within a couple months I would guess.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Talk to Quikturbo. He did the complete 2JZ-GTE 6 speed swap and can help you.

Honestly, to do the whole swap, it's really a lot more than it would seem. There are a bunch of miscellaneous parts that you need to pick up, aside from the motor and transmission. The complete swap will run you over $10,000 in parts alone.

-Brian.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I say go for it! Swap baby swap! I don't know what type of position you're in considering that you used to own a '95 TT but by the time you finish the swap, I'm 100% sure you'll be far under in expenses of what your Supra cost you. I'll actually be doing 2 motor swaps for 2 buddys of mine in which one was a former MKIV owner in the next few weeks. If you plan on doing it yourself and I suggest you do since this seems like a great opportunity to get aquainted with your ride, you'll be saving a lot of money. Honestly, there's not much work involved especially if you also do plan on buying Phil's book as mentioned aboved. $200 for his complete manual plus he does offer a lot of help over the phone plus all the guys on this board who I'm sure would be willing to give you some help gives this project more meaning for you to do it yourself.

Brian the swap itself isn't a walk in the park in terms of labor but the complete swap can be done for quite less than $10,000 even if he chooses not to cut corners.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ridah said:
Where can you get a 2jz long block for tranny for 3k?
Ebay.

Thanks for all the info guys! I've considered other cars, but a ride with luxury, good back seats and a 2jz-GTE, can't be beat. I figure it's the closest i'm gonna get to a Supra. I thought about an MKIII, but the newest one is 13 years old and the seats are much smaller, I call them butt buckets!

What is this book that everyone is talking about? I feel that $10,000 in parts alone is way high!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts