Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Honda recently rolled out a new, redesigned version of its ultra-popular Civic compact car, but according to Consumer Reports magazine it's actually worse than the old one. In fact, it's the first Civic ever to score too low to earn the magazine's recommendation.

"While other models like the Hyundai Elantra have gotten better after being redesigned, the Civic has dropped so much that now it ranks near the bottom of its category," said David Champion, senior director of Consumer Reports' Auto Test Center.
http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/01/aut...nda_civic/index.htm?source=cnn_bin&hpt=hp_bn3

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
It's not that it's low quality and wont last like any other honda, it's that it never really improves from year to year and the interior materials continually become cheaper with each redesign. Plain and simple, most competing models come better equipped at the same price point.

·
Registered
603 Posts
In brighter news we're sold out of them at work.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
from first hand experience, the car feel substantially cheaper than the 2006-2011 civics. Every corner was cut to produce this POS car. I literally feel like I was driving a 2001 Ford focus/Hyundai Accent.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Honda evidently is putting alot of weight into this, I had documentation in my box today from them directly relating to this article and their diappointment with " long time ally" lol. I'm sure Honda will make some minor changes to turn it around in CR eyes then have a triumphant article praising the change. Whether that comes to fruition sooner or later isn't a worry of mine though since they are still selling so well and bringing near MSRP.

·
Time for change
6,866 Posts
The civic has been a turd for a while now. This is absolutely aweful.
For some reason stupid americans keep buying cheap Japanese crap, and the Japanese keep thinking we like garbage at a cheap price...

They went too far.
Base Civic

My wife's base Chevy Cruze Eco interior. (Zero options except the ECO pacakge) Only my wife's is a black on black interior.

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
That thing is absolutely hideous and boring looking. Reminds me of something the Korean companies would have sent over in the late 90s.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Lost our first sale over that article today, a lady pulled her deposit on one coming in and bought a Chev Cruze.

·
Old School Bruiser
298 Posts
Regardless of how reliable it is, it looks ugly. The new Kias are what the new Civic should have looked like.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The civic has been a turd for a while now. This is absolutely aweful.
For some reason stupid americans keep buying cheap Japanese crap, and the Japanese keep thinking we like garbage at a cheap price...

They went too far.
Base Civic

My wife's base Chevy Cruze Eco interior. (Zero options except the ECO pacakge) Only my wife's is a black on black interior.
Was I supposed to be impressed by the Cruze or disappointed by the Civic? The interiors are adequate for econoboxes.

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
Only thing I don't like about the civics interior is the 2 tiered dash, im 5'6'' and on occasion I like to be able to see the nose of the car when I drive.

Only thing I don't like about the Cruze interior is the ugly retro looking gauges don't match anything else in the interior. Not to mention they're ugly and retro.

·
Registered
174 Posts
It's not just the look but the quality is shit! . I've been a Honda tech for the past 10 yrs and we can't keep up with all the warranty bullshit issues they are having. and the techs get it up the ass because warranty work pays shit. I personally would not buy one. The engines were always bulletproof and we are having issues with faulty blocks and the 4 cyl Accords burn oil and according to Honda is normal!. If your going to buy a Jap car buy Toyota

·
BOOBIES
3,212 Posts
I must say I'm extremely disappointed in this new civic as well. Hideous exterior, and it looks like they just jumbled up the exterior of the previous generation...

I really like the previous generation civics though. Very fun little cars to drive, great milage, and they looked very good for their time.

This is like Honda going backwards. So sad...

·
ESE CULO
2,962 Posts
I actually don't mind the new si, I like the interior of that. Though the exterior I do agree has gone soft, it isn't as compact looking as the 8th. It looks like it's missing something, though I know Honda prefers to be understated more than anything compared to everyone else. As far as the newer base models go comparing to the 8th it's dash layout is not so even in looks if that makes sense, it's gone a little more wavy and uneven in looks. It bothers some people it seems and they don't like that it hasn't changed as much as they hoped. My dealer right now too is sold out on all the new civics we've gotten. We hardly have any stock right now, no civics except one si, no vans, one CRV, handful of accords, plenty of pilots, and one CRZ. I really hope Honda in Japan gets going soon, looks like we won't have much until Sept-Oct.

·
Time for change
6,866 Posts
Was I supposed to be impressed by the Cruze or disappointed by the Civic? The interiors are adequate for econoboxes.
Both.
Remeber this interior is sub 20K, and has been out in the market for about 3 years now. Im impressed.
I would say the Honda's isn't adequate for anything in 2011. And I'd say that Cruze interior is more than adequate for a much more expensive vehicle. Especially since you could obtain leather and navi. I just happen to compare apples-apples.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I think we are all sick of the double tier dashboard and digital gauges Honda keeps giving us. The interior needs a complete makeover, and something more realistic than spaceship-ish ( if thats a word haha.)

And Im absolutely no Chevy fanboy, but Chevy hit a homerun with the Cruze, we all know it, and Honda has just been producing bland vehicles for the past 5-6 years now, and we all know that too. As sad as it is to say tis almost unfair to compare the two cars.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Had she test driven one yet? If she did she's just straight retarded.
This is the basic conversation we had with her when she picked up her deposit, side note though, she called back and said she felt like she'd made a mistake buying the Cruze but at this point there isn't anything to be done about it.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I definitely agree with most things posted here about the car being bland but bland has kind of always been Honda's style. The Civic and Accord never really WOW with their styling or features. IMHO for the price and yes reliabilty ( Honda ranked only behind Lexus this year) the Civic is still a good buy. It's an econobox, it shouldn't be heavily judged on styling inside and out as that simply isn't its strongpoint nor its focus.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts