Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Translated

RESULT Prius or Porsche drive?

Those are not alternatives, but life attitudes. It went showing us around the fact that black-and-white thinking is in the consumption discussion wrongly at the place. The hybrid is not the answer to all questions, its district is the stop and Go traffic of the cities, where he shows the red map with 5,1 litres the Porsche (13.1 litres). Here one would like to drive nothing other more. The more it is however demanded, the more rises its consumption superproportionally. With a cut of approximately 140 km/h the Porsche needs only two litres more. That shows the efficiency of its high speed engine and proves that also HP-STRONG cars can be economical.

·
Registered
702 Posts
i understood everything up until "red map." I absolutely could not decipher the rest.

·
Registered
762 Posts
That made no sense to me, except I got that the porsche requires a little more engine to make a lot more power. Must be one of these things were you HAVE to know the language to understand it?

·
Registered
922 Posts
If you are driving very very fast for long periods a car designed for high speeds (such as a porsche) is going to consume a small amount of fuel more than a fuel efficient hybrid model.

I don't think this is any particular surprise.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I believe it's stating that, although the 997's engine is obviously larger than the Prius, the old way of thinking that the Prius(and other types of fuel sippers) would absolutely destroy a larger engine'd sports car with performance being the main objective of the engine vs. fuel economy bieng the Prius' main priority as far as fuel effiency goes is not entirely true.

Of course fuel economy suffers, nature of the beast(sports cars), but its nowhere near as bad as everyone thinks when the sports car isn't being pushed.

My girlfriend STILL does not believe my 300 rwhp 2.5L Turbo gets better mileage than her '03 4-cyl Mazda 6--both cars are manual,lol

Christian

·
Aspiring viking
1,842 Posts
I believe the point was to point out that hybrids are not necessarily always significantly more fuel efficient than sports cars - particular on highway commutes. In this case, it appears that their city route resulted in the Porsche using ~2.6x as much fuel (13.1L vs 5.1L).

However, once on the open road (averaging ~87 MPH), the Porsche only used 2L more than the Prius.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts