Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just checked the rear camber adjustment bolts on the lower control arms of my '89T and found three out of four are seized / rusted in place. Any tips on how to remove the arms so that I can replace the bushings? I know that a torch is an option but I'd rather keep away from burning off the bolts.

Thanks

·
Registered
972 Posts
I used a cut off disk for a 4 inch angle grinder.
I found some at a local welding shop that are ~1/16 of an inch thick.. They worked great. Though I did end up cutting a few very small parts of the subframe.. it wasn't enough to cause any serious weakness, but i welded them up anyway.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Once the control arms are off of the car, did you just take them to a machine shop to press them out or can this be done in your own shop / home?

I assume that the bushings are still readily available???

Thanks, Vic

·
Registered
314 Posts
You can't buy the bushings from toyota!!! They only sell the whole arm for something like $333.00.

Suprasport has a kit for the whole car, about 450 dollars.

The bushings can be removed with the proper tool fairly easily. Without the tool, it's possible but not worth the effort.
A local Auto Zone store let's people rent the tool for nothing. Just give them a deposit , use the tool for up to 3 days, return it in good shape and receive a refund.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Yep, every bushing on the car can be pressed out using a shop press. Nothing too special is required, just a general selection of rounds to press with.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I need rear lower control arm bushings - I thought they were still available. I understand that the front lower control arm bushings are no longer available.

I'll followup with the dealer tomorrow.

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
Yes you can buy the rear lower bushings. I replaced mine about a year ago, it was the worst job I have had to do on my Supra, I had to cut the bolts and melt out the old bushings with a torch............Pay someone to do it for you if you can.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how did you cut off the bolts? torch or cut off wheel? why did you have to melt the rubber out with a torch - can't the bushings be pressed out at a machine shop.

Thanks for your input - I'm just preparing to do mine soon and need to be sure that I have everything that I need before starting the job.

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
I didnt have a press at my shop, so I had to melt out the rubber, and use a air powered hacksaw and cut the outer bushing sleave. I used a cutting torch to chop off the old bolts. Be very carefull to not damage the bracket, you will most likely have to spread the brackets to get the control arm out, then just tap it back with a big hammer. Have fun!!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the info - I'll try to remove them this weekend and keep everyone posted as to how well / bad it goes!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts