Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

Has anyone posted a FAQ on the rewiring required to convert turn signals from '94 to '98? I have them installed with no problem but the wiring baffles me. If anyone can point me to a link or has any information about the correct wiring I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Adam

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pre 97's are orange with a simple two wire connection to a harness. The '97/'98s are clear with a slightly more complicated wiring scheme.

Adam

·
Fat Guy in a Little Coat
281 Posts
I believe you will have to buy a different harness for wiring it. Try calling Jeff Watson at Jay marks toyota...he has all the hardware. I want to say its like 20 bucks or so.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I just performed this mod Thursday. The 97-98 turn signals have a parking light section in them, 93.5-96 do not. You can tap in the side marker lights in the bumper to get power for the parking lights in the new turn signals. The turn signal light itself probably uses a smaller harness than the 93.5-96 harness. I had to modify my 97-98 housing to accept my harness and bulbs. I ran mine different than the 97-98 factory style did. I actually have my parking indicator as the turn signal and the turn signal indicator as my parking. Hope that doesn't confuse you. I'm probably going to redo them again though. Right now the turn signals blink too fast, because of the wattage difference I think. I'm going to buy another set of brake light harnesses to run as the turn signal and parking light indicator itself. This way, the 97-98 turn/parking light housing stay lit up. I just like a brighter front end. Send me an e-mail and I'll try send you some pics as soon as I'm done. If this doesn't help , just e-mail and I'll try to explain it a little clearier.:)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I purchased the lights and got the harness from Jeff Watson. However, it is not a direct plug in for the stock harness. Clearly some rewiring needs to be done. It appears to me that the harnesses need to be scrapped and it becomes a splicing project. The key is: Which wires go where?

I appreciate superlative's note but I am not clear on which wires go where. I understand the philosophy but not the wiring. I do appreciate the attempt however.

Thanks,

Adam

·
Super Moderator, Piss me off. I dare you.
12,619 Posts
You guys are gonna confuse poor Reed! :D

Reed, I have a 1994 model. I just had the headlights painted to closely resemble the 97-98 units. While I was at it, I decided to do the turn signals. Here's the deal:

1) Early turn signals use a bigger light socket. You will need to order the late style harness/socket.

2) Early markers are in the headlights, late are in the turn signals.

3) The new late model harness comes with turns and markers.

4) Simply cut the early marker lamp wires, use butt connectors to connect the new marker lights.

5) Do the same for the turn signals.

6) Simply plug in the new turn signal socket in to the housing.

7) Simply plug in the marker lamp in to the housing instead of in to the headlight assembly.

Piece of cake. ;)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would just like to name FYRARMS the resident expert in turn light wiring.

Thank you very much. Very clear directions.

Adam

1 - 9 of 9 Posts