Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bad issue. I'm having to refill my coolant every two days 'cause it keeps getting spat out of the coolant over flow catch can and then it comes out the drain port. I replaced the radiator, and thermo and it keeps draining away. It mostly happens during start up and shut down. if any one could help me it would greatfully appreciated.

·
stop playin wit mah name
1,930 Posts
Did you remember to replace the radiator cap? Are you burning anything out the tailpipe?

·
Registered
523 Posts
i would have to go with a bad radiator cap if its going to the overflow bottle

·
Registered
328 Posts
Wait how does a cap manage to do this?
On the bottom of the cap is the little part that keeps the radiator pressurized. Once the set pressure has been exceeded, it allows coolant to flow into the exit port on top that feeds the overflow bottle. If the pressure/spring part of the cap is bad, it will allow coolant into the overflow much earlier than it should.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bad coolant cap, umm. could be alot of things.. do a pressure test on the coolant system
hello. I already changed out the radiator cap. and it still does it. I thinking is the water pum not circulating the radiator fuid, but I need to make sure before I buy one and take every thing apart.

·
Banned
2,187 Posts
On the bottom of the cap is the little part that keeps the radiator pressurized. Once the set pressure has been exceeded, it allows coolant to flow into the exit port on top that feeds the overflow bottle. If the pressure/spring part of the cap is bad, it will allow coolant into the overflow much earlier than it should.
Oh alright alright that makes sense. Thanks for the input. But do any of you guys know where to buy a radiator cap at? I went to couple car places but none of hem had any. And a trd isnt so neccesary, just oem.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It looks like water pump or thermo. The water is machinical so seldem failure (only leaking problem). I will double check the thermo. You can try to remove the thermo first then run it.

·
Banned
2,187 Posts
It looks like water pump or thermo. The water is machinical so seldem failure (only leaking problem). I will double check the thermo. You can try to remove the thermo first then run it.
I just replaced my thermostat 100 miles ago. Doesnt heat up, just overflows the reserve. And i bought a random radiator cap at autozone that could screw in without knowing the pressure BS, i guess for our cars we need 1.3km/cm2.

·
Registered
80 Posts
There are some trade off if the presssure is too high. It could shorten the life of all seal. Just make sure that the temperture is normal. Find the balance point.

·
Registered
328 Posts
There are some trade off if the presssure is too high. It could shorten the life of all seal. Just make sure that the temperture is normal. Find the balance point.
Yep, it's best to get stock or very close to stock unless you have done something that specifically needs a higher temp/pressure. There's a reason it's getting hotter than normal; best to fix the real problem rather than compensating for it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats where I bought my cap from also. could that be the problem, I didn't think some thing like a cap could cause it to over flow. is there a way to trouble shoot the water pump with out removing it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Can you describe the whole story from normal to abnormal ? which parts you changed ?

which coolant you use ? toyota red ? mix ratio ?
To install the thermo wrong direction, you can have this problem.
Does any object sit inside the coolant system to block the flow ?
Is any other leaking ?

If it is cap problem, when you cold start, the coolant wont come out a lot due to no pressure.

thats where I bought my cap from also. could that be the problem, I didn't think some thing like a cap could cause it to over flow. is there a way to trouble shoot the water pump with out removing it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can you describe the whole story from normal to abnormal ? which parts you changed ?

which coolant you use ? toyota red ? mix ratio ?
To install the thermo wrong direction, you can have this problem.
Does any object sit inside the coolant system to block the flow ?
Is any other leaking ?

If it is cap problem, when you cold start, the coolant wont come out a lot due to no pressure.
Ok, I was pretty much done turboing my supra I was slowly getting it a simple street tune when I notice that my heat gage was slowly climming I stopped the car, and there was alot antifreeze in the engine bay, that was coming out of the over flow port on the catch can. I had a water bottle in the car so I refilled it back up. Just be for I got to the house it started to over heat again. I got to the house waited formit to cool down. the first thing I did was Replace the thermo. Since I had to change the head gasket to a 2.5mm I had to drain it and refilled it with the green stuff ( I had the red stuff in there before ) I set my fans to kit in at lower temperatures to make sure it stayed cool. I took it for a drive, went to the store, went back home ............. and it did it again it spat out some of the antifreeze. I went and bought me a new cap from autozone. took it for an other drive and and when I gat back from the store it had spat out alot antifreeze again........... This time I went out and bought me a whole radiator ( stock, OEM )........... took it for an other drive.......... and once again it leaked out a lot of the antifreeze........... I'M OUT OF IDEAS SO IF CAN HELPME IT WOULD BE GREAT 'CAUSE i CAN'T FINISH MY TURBO SET UP IF IT KEEPS DOING THIS.

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
It might be possible you installed the head gasket backwards and blocking the coolant holes to the block (or it's an incorrect gasket). I noticed you said 2.5mm headgasket (but not specified).

·
Banned
2,187 Posts
It might be possible you installed the head gasket backwards and blocking the coolant holes to the block (or it's an incorrect gasket). I noticed you said 2.5mm headgasket (but not specified).
Hmm sounds like it can be the problem. The HG has to be on perfectly and how it is suppose to be. I just hope it isnt your HG cause that means you will have to take it all apart again:(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts